VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Compensation amount?

Rate this question

BurnTheGalaxy

Question

You are receiving SMC-S and are considered 'housebound' for a majority of the time due to your disabilities. 

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp02.asp

You rating criteria and whatever your doctor said, said that you are totally occupationally and or socially impaired, among other things. Have you read the 100 rating criteria for MH? 

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:
gross impairment in thought processes or communication
persistent delusions or hallucinations
grossly inappropriate behavior
persistent danger of hurting self or others
intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene)
disorientation to time or place
memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name

I have the same rating for MH, among other things. Im 'social' in that if people come over I can tolerate it, but I rarely if ever drive or leave the house. I get confused, social situations fluster me to the point of mood swings or high anxiety. Your doctors notes on your C and P can usually be found on MyHealthVet under the download for Blue Button. Id pull the last 3 months, or whatever time frame contains your C and P, and give it a read under the "Notes" part. You'll see the DBQ that the doctor filled out for your exam and his notes on the subject that went to the VA. 

I communicate a lot via computer- 2nd nature, and much more accessible to me. I used to be an IT engineer, Lol. Anywho, good luck. Read your rating letter when you get it. After 6 months or a year of stable 100% rating, Id write/email/Ebenefits them back and request a permanent and total rating. It doesnt change the amount, but some local jurisdictions require you to be P/T before you qualify for homestead exemptions and the like. Oh, yeah, with that said, check your local taxing authority- you may qualify for partial or full homestead exemption for your home, and in a lot of states you get 1 primary vehicle registered with no taxes if you can prove 100% disability. APply for SSDI kinda goes without saying, and check your school- you may qualify now under some state program or University policy for tuition exemption. If you have student loans, Nelnet and others have an application you can file with your rating letter that will remove/cancel your student loans. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Interesting. I will just wait to see what my packet says. What if i don't agree with everything stated such as housebound and SMC and I dont think I need it? Would it be a regular appeal? or is it something that can be done quickly especially if it's a financial hardship issue?

EDIT: If i go to school 5 days a week and study all day there, obviously im not housebound nor need any SMC.

Edited by BurnTheGalaxy

I dont konw if you can appeal that or not. They may have awarded housebound on the basis of other criteria than just not leaving the house- it encompasses a lot of things. Read the notes and see what they say and you'll have a better idea of it. 

Not sure what you mean about the financial hardship issue, though. That may be a question for a separate post.