VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed PTSD and TBI: Doctor asked about ADHD in past.

Rate this question

commodog

Question

Hello guys and girls!

So, I am an OIF invadee and combatant. (Commo attached to combat arms)

In 2008, 5 years after initial deployment, I was diagnosed with a TBI/PTSD.
I have seen a handful of psych docs, but my current one seems to be on point. (As in: "Actually concerned with the welfare of the veteran as opposed to the cost and service mitigation of the VA.")

She asked me a question, and I had to reach out to my mother to find the answer.
She asked, "Have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD as a child?", and further opined that PTSD aggravates ADHD by exacerbating the focus and attention problems present in ADHD.

I had not thought about this in years, but I recalled when I was 6-7 years old (1986?), taking something called Ritalin, and the term she used sounded familiar.

So my mother has confirmed that "Yes, you were diagnosed at the beginning of 1st grade.", but that I "...seemed to do better off of the pills because they would just make you zone out.", hence not being "raised" with the explicit memory of what I was diagnosed with or took exactly. (Although I am positive now it was Ritalin. Mother confirmed.)

So, my question is this:

I am an honorably separated vet, and have the commensurate awards for combat operations.
I am not sure during my release of information at MEPS whether or not my provider at the time (Kaiser) included information about my ADHD?
I do believe I told them, but if it comes back in some way that it wasn't included at MEPS, could there be any affect on my benefits?

The doctor is filling out a statement in support of my claim for TDIU, as she feels it is better for me to focus on getting my mental health squared away for a couple of years at least, and that I am currently unemployable.
I may wait for that claim to finish (awaiting vision related C&P for TBI injury to vision) before filing for service-connection for ADHD, secondary to aggravation via PTSD.

Does this seem like a smart idea? 

Thanks guys and gals, and as always, your insight is appreciated!

Respectfully,
Commodog

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

you need in service events for stressors and your lay statement of the event military medical records, morning reports to the event  ect,,ct,,  usually a combat veteran don't need to prove his stressors, HOWEVER you need a VA Dx for mental problems  such as  DSM-5 PTSD.

They may bring up the fact you were Dx for the ADHD back when you were a child  but describe your behavior over the years that you were ok when you join the military but after the events while in military is when you started having problems  you may need a Qualified Dr to state this or give his opinion to your condition that it is likey as not your PTSD is caused or related to your military service.

I don't think they can use the ADHD against you because that can be address with the meds ''Ratlin'' AND THAT YOU NO LONGER REQUIRE THE ''RATLIN''after  age? say 10 years old, or if your mom has  a  medical record when you were taken off the ''Ratlin''and no longer had the ADHD.

they will try to use the ADHD aginst you but that can be addressed with professional opine. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Request all your military records medical and in service.

try to find any child hood records about your DX of ADHD....Or if your PCP Mention that in any of your medical records   you need to know this information, if in fact a Dr took you off the ''ratalin medication'' when your were at still a young age that you no longer required it and  your behavior was considered to be normal when you join the military  then you should be good to go  on a VA Diagnoses of DSM 5 PTSD, And opinion its likely as not caused or related to your military service from a qualified Dr

Hey, Buck! I have already had a very long time rating and service connection for PTSD. They took a single look at my records and mental health notes from in service and knew.

My question is really, based on her comment of "PTSD is known to aggravate ADHD", should I apply for service-connection of ADHD by way of aggravation?

Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

yes if you have that statment to show as evidence!

won't hurt to try.

if you can get  rating for it   it will boost you up but probably not the 100% I'm not sure what the ratings for that would be ?  but if your 80% now  you  will actually need a 50% rating to boost you up the 100%

I am on this boat myself I just filed for ADHD secondary to my sTBI since my PTSD is lumped in there. Are you not SC for the TBI yet? That's a known cause to exacerbate ADHD symptoms. It took me 6 years to get SC for my TBI and PTSD so if you have any questions about either send a message?