VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Father's Service Records

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

One year ago I asked the VA if they had any of my father's medical records or any records.  I had asked St. Louis and they said his records were burned in 1973 fire but they told me his old claim number and to write the VA and ask for those records if they had them.  I got back a response saying I needed to sign my request.  I did sign the request if they had of looked at it.   It took them one year for that response.  If I point out that I did sign the request I guess it will take another year for them to say "NO" we have no records.  I hate them.  When my mother was in a nursing home I tried to get A&A for her and the VA never responded at all.  She died and I had estates to deal with and I just forgot about it.  Now I see they intended to stall until she passed away and pay nothing.  As far as I know now I have his only complete discharge papers that show where he served and an honorable discharge.  He was right in the fight when Patton invaded Germany and the Allies beat the Germans.  All that is lost due to negligent St. Louis and lazy VA.  He also should have gotten medals because he was in 320th Glider Artillery that was part of 82nd Airborne.   I think his service may have led to his early death but no point in trying to prove that now.

J King

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I wonder what they do with the records after the veteran passes? if a veteran had a claim going at the time of his death and never mention his claim to any one   and relative finds out about years later  what then? can his claim be reopen?

All claims are 'wiped' by a program called FNOD. If a veteran dies after cutoff to manipulate monthly comp payment a debt is created, and DMC sends out a demand, or uses a program called RUPD to claw back that last payment.

A month of death benefits letter goes out to last address.

This all occurs even if there's an award pending.

It is very disheartening :(