VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mortons Neuroma: Need some advice, I have helped here before

Rate this question

Frank1959

Question

I have been an avid reader and have contirbuted to this forum. I thought I would ask if anyone could help me with a personal question.

I have been rated with 20% Mortons Neuroma and hallux rigidus (Total disabilty is 50%).

I was in the field artillery, US Army, from 1982 thru 1986, The last 18 months of duty, the medical staff had me on numerous profiles because of foot pain. They thought, at that time, I was simulating and trying to get out of PT. (I passed all of my PT exams - but with a lot of documented foot pain afterwards). It wasnt until 6 months prior to my ETS that a LTCL diagnosed me with Mortons Neuroma. 6 Weeks prior to my ETS, the neuroma was removed. It took the medical staff 1 and a 1/2 years to find and correct the problem. The Neuroma was a result of a PT run in combat boots.

Since then, I have had continuing feet, knees and back problems - relating to the injured foot.

A: Injured foot: There is a change of weight bearing on each foot. Pronounced useage of the outside areas for the weight bearing. I have been diagnosed with pes planus, from 2 orthopedic surgeons. (They are in the german medical system - I live in Germany). They do not take the time with reading the Army medical records. Army Entrance exams mention nothing about pes planus. Sometimes, when I stand in one position for a longer period of time, (10 or 15 minutes), my injured foot develops severe cramps, originating from the big toe, thru the inside arch and then on to the calf. Very painful. It goes away after about 5 minutes.  Same thing, at night, when I am sleeping. This happens once or twice a week. (Since I left the Army, I am an owner of a Nursery - quiet profession). THere is, also, a numbness in the 4th toe, which causes blood blister on the toe when I walk more than a mile.

B. Knees: Since I have an altered gait, I have been having knee problems. Pain and weakness in the knees. Someitmes going up and down stairs, I have to catch myself - I feel that my knee or knees wont support me.  I weigh, about, 210 lbs. I have 2 medical opinions that state that they say that the  Mortons Neuroma contributed to the altered gait and the knee problems.

C. Lower back pains: I have had, since I left the Army, continuous back pains. My MOS was 13B. Heavy lifting is recognized by a FAST letter. I had a Xray done, last summer, and the skeletal / bones are in good shape.

My questions: has someone had similiar issues? Is it possible to connect pes planus because of the Mortons Neuroma and the resulting altered gait? Can I receive a secondary to the Mortons Neuroma, connecting my knee and back issues?

Edited by Frank1959
typo and addtions

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

"I have 2 medical opinions that state that they say that the  Mortons Neuroma contributed to the altered gait and the knee problems. " If these are formal IMos with a full medical rationale-as explained within the IMO/IME criteria here at hadit, that is great.

However

"My questions: has someone had similiar issues?" Me but I am not a veteran.

"Is it possible to connect pes planus because of the Mortons Neuroma and the resulting altered gait?"

Yes,with a strong medical opinion from a podiatrist that follows the IMo/IME criteria here at hadit.

"Can I receive a secondary to the Mortons Neuroma, connecting my knee and back issues? "

I think based on what I have read in BVA cases, it would be easier to service connect the pes planus and then claim ,as well, the knees and back as secondary.

I am surprised the IMO/IME docs didn't make that point.Were your SMRs completely absent for foot pain?

One of the very first medical questions on a form I had to fill out years ago for my podiatrist (who is also an orthopedic surgeon was, "do you have chronic back pain?"

There is no question that any severe foot problem such as pes planus (and it sounds to me that you have severe pronation too) can cause back ,knee, and hip problems.

"An effective date of March 1, 2007 for the grant of a 30 percent rating for bilateral pes planus with arthritis of the feet is granted, subject to the laws and regulations governing the payment of monetary benefits.

Service connection for bilateral Morton's neuroma as secondary to service-connected bilateral pes planus with arthritis of the feet is granted."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files5/1641618.txt

I guess there would be cases as well at the BVA that show the pes planus is secondary to the Morton's neuroma, but I have not searched for them.

Here is the BVA search page:

https://www.bva.va.gov/

thanks for the reply. My approach is to get the pes planus connected to the MOrtons Neuroma (like you suggested) The foot injury occurred in the army, while on active duty. The pes planus is after the Mortons surgery. The change of gait occurred while I was on profile (18 months) and continued to this day. Because of the change of gait, I have lower back pains (non-skeletal) and problems with my knees. Since I live in Germany, I was treated by the germans medical system. The records go back only 10 years. I do have my GP, who I have been seeing, for over 20 years that is making the Nexus letter. I have been diagnosed with acquired pes planus.

Again, thanks for the help