VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will the VA try and reduce your rating for not using VA healthcare?

Rate this question

kent101

Question

If you don't use VA healthcare the VA won't have records of your treatment for your SC condition. Will the VA try and reduce your rating if they have no records? Should you be sending records from private healthcare periodically to the VAMC to protect your rating?

Edited by kent101
Update

• HadIt.com Elder

No you don't need to sendyour private records to the VA but you can share them with the VA

if you don't use the VA for your treatments of S.C. Disabiity's  you can use the private sector...just keep these records in a safe place incase the VA does try to pull some hanky panky and reduce your %

they need medical records of evidence that your S.C. Disability has imporved and they need at least two Dr's to state so...so I doubt they will try to reduce you for not using the VA Medical Centers for treatment.

As long as you stay in treatment and take meds  you should be good to go.

just hang on to those private records and medications list.

jmo

I got a different email notice on this topic then what is posted here.Maybe I got it before you edited it.

This is my reply to the one I got this AM.

I worked at a vet center, in a PTSD combat group, many many years ago, as a VA volunteer.

We didn’t keep any personal records that I know of , of what was discussed at those meetings.

But I do think a record was kept of attendance.

If you see a private doctor for PTSD or any MH issue, as Buck said, you might need those records someday and certainly make sure you have proof of any MH meds you take.

VA tried to reduce my husband’s PTSD once ,but with absolutely no good reason and changed their mind fast, when they read the NOD.I prepared.  He had attended vet center PTSD meetings for years but none of that ever appeared in any of his VA records. But he also did see a VA psychologist regularly.

Not all potential reductions are as easy to overcome as what his was. I used the exact same regulations they used in the proposed reduction letter, against them,  and also plain old common sense,in the NOD.

Many years ago it was SOP for the VA to mess around with any new VA employee –which he was-

as to their rating, if it was for an MH issue.

You could ask the team leader at the vet center if they do keep records of your attendance or of anything else you might need if they attempt to reduce.But the best thing you have documented is the private psyche records and meds, and I assume they involve current ,ongoing therapy ,as well as past therapy.

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 3:09 AM, Buck52 said:

No you don't need to sendyour private records to the VA but you can share them with the VA

if you don't use the VA for your treatments of S.C. Disabiity's  you can use the private sector...just keep these records in a safe place incase the VA does try to pull some hanky panky and reduce your %

they need medical records of evidence that your S.C. Disability has imporved and they need at least two Dr's to state so...so I doubt they will try to reduce you for not using the VA Medical Centers for treatment.

As long as you stay in treatment and take meds  you should be good to go.

just hang on to those private records and medications list.

jmo

Thanks. I don't want to use the VA at this time even though I was enrolled. I get bad anxiety thinking about it and sleep a lot lighter.

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Berta said:

I got a different email notice on this topic then what is posted here.Maybe I got it before you edited it.

I worked at a vet center, in a PTSD combat group, many many years ago, as a VA volunteer.

We didn’t keep any personal records that I know of , of what was discussed at those meetings.

If you see a private doctor for PTSD or any MH issue, as Buck said, you might need those records someday and certainly make sure you have proof of any MH meds you take.

VA tried to reduce my husband’s PTSD once ,but with absolutely no good reason and changed their mind fast, when they read the NOD.I prepared.  He had attended vet center PTSD meetings for years but none of that ever appeared in any of his VA records. But he also did see a VA psychologist regularly.

Not all potential reductions are as easy to overcome as what his was. I used the exact same regulations they used in the proposed reduction letter, against them,  and also plain old common sense,in the NOD.

Many years ago it was SOP for the VA to mess around with any new VA employee –which he was-

You could ask the team leader at the vet center if they do keep records of your attendance or of anything else you might need if they attempt to reduce.But the best thing you have documented is the private psyche records and meds, and I assume they involve current ,ongoing therapy ,as well as past therapy.

I changed the comments I made because I don't see why the VA would attempt to reduce only vets with mental health issues for not using VA healthcare. Thanks.

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Berta said:

I just hope the VA doesn't try and reduce me for not using VA Healthcare.

Edited by kent101

All the above and, unless you're SC is T & P No Future Exam Scheduled (your's isn't), you can count on a "Diary Dated" C & P Re-Exam in anywhere from 2 to 5 yrs after your initial rating.

When you reach 55, barring a Secondary Claim, VA's not supposed to Diary Date you for C & Ps.

Filing any Secondary Claims would cause a review of your Specific Nexus SC, regardless of your age, IU T& P and No Future Exams Scheduled Rating.

Semper Fi