VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To email secretary of veterans affairs or not

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

Hey,

I was just wondering what's everyone thoughts on emailing the secretary of the VA to try to get an NOD moving? Has anyone experienced backlash because of this? Has anyone done this with success? If emailing the secretary is too high up the chain is there anyone else I could contact to try to get an NOD moving?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Sorry I didn't see this before it's not to high up the chain and I think you like the post I gave the Email like I said introduce your self explain your self and then ask what it is you need that's all I did and 12 days later I had something moving. My case isn't like everyone's and everyone's is different don't be disappointed if it takes longer then mine

ShuMan,  I had a NOD at about 15 months,  and I emailed the secretary and received my increased rating decision less than six weeks later. The only reason I sent the email is because my NOD was still awaiting review,  at 15 months.  I had also been told by Voc Rehab that I am permanently and totally disabled and unemployable due to my SC disabilities, and my counselor provided me a letter stating that.  I submitted the letter,  VA already had all other evidence,  waited a couple of months,  at the 15 month mark I sent the email asking to expedite the overdue nod.  I had my decision, 100% p&t, about six weeks later.  I also received a phone call from my RO about two weeks after sending the email to let me know a decision had been made.  If your nod is past due,  send the email,  and best of luck to you.

That depends on how old your NOD is.  If you dont have an advance on the docket, due to advanced age or hardsship, then its gonna take 3 to 4 years, mimumum (most say longer now) to get to the BVA.  Do you have a docket number, and did you contact the BVA to find out?  Contact the VASEC or TRump only if you HAVE contacted your RO, the BVA etc, and you have not got satisfactory results in serveal months.  You should have this documented.  For example, if you contacted IRIS eemail in 2014, and they never responded to your satisfaction, then there comes a time to call the big boss.  But dont aliente the VA employees, because your claim was not appreoved in 6 months, and because your VSO wont call you back.  (VSO's dont do call backs..lawyers dont either.)  

I have a 2002 claim, that was not adjuticated until 2009 (denied as moot) appealed; it went to the BVA in 2012.  It took the RO 3 years to implement the BVA decision, where they denied it again.. I went to the CAVC in 2016, and got a Remand.  Now, if I do NOT have a 2012 or 2009 docket date, I am emailing Trump, since I have been fighthing VA for 15 years now.  If you have waited 15 months..that is a normal wait and you wont get bumpted to the top of the line.  

On 3/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, flores97 said:

ShuMan,  I had a NOD at about 15 months,  and I emailed the secretary and received my increased rating decision less than six weeks later. The only reason I sent the email is because my NOD was still awaiting review,  at 15 months.  I had also been told by Voc Rehab that I am permanently and totally disabled and unemployable due to my SC disabilities, and my counselor provided me a letter stating that.  I submitted the letter,  VA already had all other evidence,  waited a couple of months,  at the 15 month mark I sent the email asking to expedite the overdue nod.  I had my decision, 100% p&t, about six weeks later.  I also received a phone call from my RO about two weeks after sending the email to let me know a decision had been made.  If your nod is past due,  send the email,  and best of luck to you.

Thanks! Im glad it worked out for you! I'm still awaiting DRO review but I was wondering how would I quantify an overdue NOD?

ShuMan, Broncovet brought up a great point.  I would send in an Iris Inquiry first.  The way to see if your NOD is overdue is by calling the 1-800 number and checking the status,  they will give you the estimated completion time for nods,  for example,  my RO has an estimated completion of 291 days.  The main reason I emailed the Secretary is, my NOD was at 450 days and every time I spoke to anyone,  both at my RO and the 800 number,  I was getting completely different information.  Some said a decision had already been made,  some said it was still awaiting review,  etc. So when I sent the email, I explained that I was receiving completely conflicting updates every time I called, that I would like an accurate update of the real status.  I also attached a copy of my letter from Voc Rehab stating that I'm permanently and totally disabled and unemployable due to my SC disabilities. Each RO has a different estimate on completion of Notice of Disagreements, but if your NOD is way past the estimated completion time and they haven't even started it,  then that needs to be corrected.  I would send the Iris Inquiry,  ask for a phone call rather than email because when I request a phone response it's generally much faster.   I had sent several inquiries before I sent my email.  The people at the 800 number were actually suggesting I drive down to my RO, which just wasnt feasible due to my health,  but as I said,  a couple of weeks after the email I got a call from my RO to let me know a decision had been made,  and a few weeks after that received my BBE with retro hitting the next day.   I did try calling my RO,  the 800 number,  etc,  as well as  submitting the inquiries because I was erroneously told that a decision had been made on my NOD BEFORE they received my Voc Rehab letter stating I am unemployable. Turned out that wasn't the case,  but better safe than sorry. As Bronco said though,  it's better not to alienate the employees, at least send an inquiry and go from there,  and I wish you the very best

Edited by flores97
Grammar

If I didn't say it before email him. I received a call from my RO because of the email I sent him. And they explained my appeal was now certified after 6 months to the BVA. I think that's moving fast maybe not as fast as my first but every appealed issue is different...