VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help with benefits questions?

Rate this question

Stick Slinger

Question

I served in Desert Storm/Desert Shield in 90 - 91 as a door gunner on a CH-53. I received my combat aircrew wings with one star. I recently applied for benefits for PTSD after struggling for years with alcohol and destructive behaviors. Divorced, remarried, etc.. and having all the symptoms but not knowing what to do about it.

So I got a rating of 30% thanks to my (outside the VA) Psychiatrist. I have  been diagnosed with TMJ after breaking 4 teeth at night while sleeping and I am on my 3rd mouth guard. I chewed through the first two.

I am taking meds for Migraines and was denied for headaches the first time I applied. I have them every 2-3 weeks and they put me in bed.

My Dr also sent me for a sleep study which recommended a CPAP? machine which he has ordered.

So how do I tie all of this together for an appeal in the next two months?

I have until May of this year to appeal anything and want some advice on how to best get this done. Lots of great info here but really tough to do this stuff not knowing exactly what to do.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. This is a great site and I am glad it is available! And did I post this in the right place?

Edited by Stick Slinger

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Berta said:

I feel that the vet above, who has a psychiatrist ,and who is seeking to tie in his SA and TMJ as secondary to his PTSD, would not be able to get the full medical rationale he needs , from a PA .

Does it help if the PA works for the DR and they both sign the letter? And I can also get a letter from my phyciatrist

• HadIt.com Elder

On the DBQ it distinctly says to be filled out by a VA MD or VA Psychiatrist  or PA working under the Dr. or VA Clinician 

I would say yes as long as they put their credentials down as qualified to render their opinion.  

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

I see that was posted on Friday...do you mean you have until the end of May???

19 hours ago, Berta said:

I see that was posted on Friday...do you mean you have until the end of May???

Yes - I may until the end of May. I had the DBQ filled out and signed by the PA and the DR he works for so I hope that will help. So it does have a MD signature on them. The psychiatrist I see is also writing a letter tying the sleep apnea to the PTSD and meds taken to treat the PTSD. My initial denial letter was dated in the middle of May last year and the VA rep told me that meant I had till the end of this month.