VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bipolar / Depression C&P Exam Thoughts + Timeline

Rate this question

chomperjones

Question

Ok guys and gals, im back after a few months with more information.

So for a little background, my effective date is 12/12/16. It moved to prep for decision in 2 weeks and stayed there for a few months. 

then it went back to gathering evidence, at which time i recieved a phone call scheduling me for an exam on march 25.

10 minutes later they called back saying i could come in for an exam tomorrow (which was march 1st).

I  attended my c&p exam for bipolar/depression- and the examiner concluded the exam by telling me to go directly to MH because im not mentally healthy or stable.

I have the results from ROI, i scanned them, and posted them online below.

I am currently 80% disabled, none of which are MH related :-( (illness consumed my life beginning midway through my 4 years on AD)

I know im crazy in the head, and this report only makes me feel worse about myself. please dont judge me, im receiving treatment as we speak.

part1: 

part1

part2: 

part2

part3: 

part3

part4: 

part4

part5: 

part5

part6: 

part6

part7: 

part7

part8: 

part8

Edited by chomperjones

This is a favorable C & P exam. You have the inservice nexus and have symptoms consistent with the diagnosis and have had appropriate on -going treatment....

"this report only makes me feel worse about myself "

Please don't feel that way ChomperJones- you will be compensated for your sacrifice...

I wish that a friend of mine with Bi polar had gotten a C & P like this one years ago.As it was, it took him 10 years to succeed in SC Bipolar at 100% P & T.

The Navy thought he was nuts and threw him in the brig.He wasn't nuts at all but the Navy in those days didnt have a clue on what bi polar is like.

This should trigger an award for you. I don't know how they will rate it along with the 80%.

Dont be so hard on yourself...we dont always see claims that have a good inservice nexus. What bothers me is the EED, Dec 16, 2016.

Did you ever apply for SC bipolar before and then get denied?

Since this C & P exam will SC it, there might be a away to get a better EED, with a CUE or maybe 3.156 B claim...if they denied the same disability in the past ......hard to say yet..the award will tell you more.

Do you get SSDI and if so is it solely for the bipolar?

1 hour ago, Berta said:

This is a favorable C & P exam. You have the inservice nexus and have symptoms consistent with the diagnosis and have had appropriate on -going treatment....

Did you ever apply for SC bipolar before and then get denied?

Since this C & P exam will SC it, there might be a away to get a better EED, with a CUE or maybe 3.156 B claim...if they denied the same disability in the past ......hard to say yet..the award will tell you more.

Do you get SSDI and if so is it solely for the bipolar?

Thank you for the uplifiting words. the hard part of dealing with this is the knowledge of how i was prior to joining the service. And knowing the struggle of everyday life that i encounter presently.

so to answer your questions.

I did file for depression (not specifically bipolar, if that makes any difference) back in 2011 i think. But i missed the appt so it was denied (I was going through a severe depressive state). So as far as i know, Dec 12, 2016 is the only EED I can shoot for?? 

Also, i do not receive SSDI, I recently looked into it - it seems that i would have a better chance at that after getting service connected for bipolar. Again, i dont know so improbably wrong and wasting more time :-(

Thanks again for your help.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a VA exam for Bipolar disorder in the 1990's.  I got 30% because I was able to hold a job.   Within five years I was on a permanent limited duty job with the USPS due to my mental health issues.

This was the beginning of the end for my working life.  Within a few more years I had been fired and had applied for every disability program I could find.  I was 51 years old and completely washed up

due to constant harassment by my employer.  I got the VA to bump me up to 70% and then TDIU and P&T.   This was all under most intense stress.  You exam was a good one.   If you get 100% try and get

P&T as your first order of business and get SSDI.  I did that and I have money to support me and my wife now.  This was 16 years ago and I still use the VA just to document my various illnesses that

are SC.  I advise you to do the same.  I eventually got DX'ed for PTSD, schizophrenia and MDD and anxiety disorder.  Stick around long enough and they will throw everything at you to see what sticks.

I think you have a good chance of getting to 100% with this exam and your other disabilities. I think there is a good chance you might be rated as high as 70% for mental health. Don't wait on P&T. Type a letter up short and sweet telling them you are applying for permanent and total. My c&p was similar to yours and I got 70% for bipolar disorder.

18 hours ago, waccamawwild said:

I think you have a good chance of getting to 100% with this exam and your other disabilities. I think there is a good chance you might be rated as high as 70% for mental health. Don't wait on P&T. Type a letter up short and sweet telling them you are applying for permanent and total. My c&p was similar to yours and I got 70% for bipolar disorder.

Thank you so much for your input.

Where/who would i send the letter to?