VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just got approved for TDIU

Rate this question

RedLeg76

Question

I call the 800# they told me they can't tell me anything. The letter was sent out yesterday. I am just wondering about back pay. I stopped working in 2012. First filled for IU in 2010. Back in August I filed for increasing in disabilities. Was approved but don't know where or how much back pay to expect. 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

The day you stopped worked is the day YOU SHOULD receive your back pay to. That is what happened with me. I stopped worked in April 2012 and in February 2014, two weeks after my SSDI hearing, the Social Security Judge approved me for SSDI. Then on March 1st boom I received my TDIU rated back to April 2012. So remember its the day you stopped work because IU is given to those who cannot work due to their service connected issues. I would check eBenefits and look at your pay history and keep an update on your bank account because mine hit days earlier than I go the letter.

Myself I am 90% TDIU and Permanent and Total Disability which means I am considered 100% P&T. The P&T is what you want to shoot for as that gives your dependents the benefits and helps you in many other ways. Just research to see what your state gives for VA Benefits for veterans who are P&T. Remember TDIU is NOT P&T they are different. P&T means your disability will never get better.

Here in Florida because I am P&T I do not have to pay for taxes on my home I live in, free fishing and hunting licenses for me, free DAV license plate, my dependents get free tuition to any college here in Florida. Florida's VA pays for their tuition and my daughter also receives the Pell Grant. ALSO she receives Chapter 35 benefits through the Veteran Affairs so they pay her a monthly stipend, up to 48 months. That stipend amount depends if the dependent is FULL TIME, HALF TIME...or whatever other times they are. My daughter is full time so she receives $1024 a month, ALL TAX FREE!!!!

Hope this helps and congrats if you were approved for TDIU. If you need any help let me know maybe I can show you the help that was given to me by many members on this board.

I received P&T because my spine is like a 70 year old person and I'm only 49!!! Plus all the upper and lower radiculopathy doesn't help one bit.

Rob

Like everyone else, you will just have to wait on the envelope, OR take a bunch of wild guesses.  I agree that is "should" be the date you last worked, but I am fighting VA over the same issue where they want to give me an alternate effective date that is much worse.  

My TDIU claim was shorted about 9 months. - Last date worked Oct 1 - my claim was paid to July of the following year, - when my NOD was dated/ effective date.... Not proper I know but ....I did not dispute. I received my decision in 370 days from start of claim - thought that was a bigger gift. :)