VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How long after C&P to request C file

Rate this question

Ace M

Question

I had my most recent c&P exams and recently learned about c files, i wanted to request mine but wanted to have all the latest information about the exams included

How long should i wait to request it? When requesting an updated c file, do they sent the entire file or just the updates from a particular date?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ace M

Request  a complete redacted copy of you rC=File ASAP  Because it takes approx 4 months to over a year to get it.  Request all your SMR'S and any specific record or records you need. or  sign a FOIA Form and send it to NRPC in St Louis Mo

Just Request ALL records that they have on you.

you can call your R.O. & Request it or the 1-800# or the RMC in St Louis Mo,  NRPC (this is who I called) # to call 888-533-4558

They send your complete C-FILE on CD (Compact Disk)  if not it will be mounds of paper  but the VA RMC has been digitizes them  for a while now and your COMPLETE CLAIMS FOLDER should be on the CD.

copy the CD to your computer  use the ''Adobe Acrobat Pro Reader''program

Sure makes it a lot easier to read.

You can get copy's of your C&P Exam AT at the FOIA Information desk at your VAMC   3 or 4 days after the exam if it was done at the VA.

if contractor ,  then you will have to wait a few weeks and go to the VBA Office and  request a copy

Actually I tell All veterans to Request their complete C-File before filing a claim  make copy's of the records you need as your evidence and submit those with your claim  rather filing an ITF (Intent to Fle) or  FDC...It's always best you look at your C-FILE before filing.

Edited by Buck52

Agree.  Request a copy of your Cfile ASAP AND also try to get your hands on your C and P exam. 

Getting the C and P exam will likely be faster, as your RO loves to drag their feet in sending the cfile. 

To get the C and P exam, go to your VAMC's "release of information" desk and sign a ROI, requesting the exam.  

At my VAMC, you can walk out with the exam in minutes.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, if you want to appeal a rating you should have your C-File so your IMO doctor can claim he read all ten thousand pages.  You know the VA C&P exam doctors never read the C-File, but the VA insists your doctor should carefully review it and all your SMR's and VA medical records.  Double standard,   oh yeah!  You need to beat them at their own game with their own rules.  Who did your C&P exam?  If it was the VA it is easier to get your copy.  If it was a contract hitman it is harder to get them.  They make you stand on your head.  I think the VA actively tries to discourage you from getting a copy of your exam in a timely manner.  You need that exam to file a decent NOD.

• HadIt.com Elder

They suppose to read what is pertains to your claim  they don't need to read all the Records or C-FLE just the Dr's part of what your claim is about.

if theres nothing in it that helps your claim  then  you will be denied  it has to have something that is favorable to what your claiming and Dr fvorable opinion.

Edited by Buck52

It was done by VES veterans evaluations service, i will take a shot at requesting it at the VAMC

Is there a mail in address to request the C file instead of a phone #, so i can keep a paper trail, i have learned with the VA you need to document every single thing

Thanks for the assistance

Update: I just learned that a few forms are a waste of time according to this and that i should make an appointment and get the paper copy https://www.veteranslawblog.org/how-to-get-your-va-c-file/

Edited by Ace M