VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DISCREPANCIES BETWEEN EBENEFITS AND 214

Rate this question

CRANKYMOOSE

Question

HAS ANYONE ELSE RAN INTO A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THEIR 214 AND THE VA LETTERS ON EBENEFITS. I AM CURRENTLY ATTEMPTING TO GET MY DISCHARGE UPGRADED FROM AN "UNDER HONORABLE CONDITIONS" TO AN "HONORABLE" TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR GI BILL BENEFITS BUT MY VA DISABILITY COMPENSATION LETTER ON EBENEFITS CLASSIFIES MY SERVICE CHARACTERIZATION AS "HONORABLE" WHY THIS DISCREPANCY AND DOES IT MEAN ANYTHING. CAN I USE THIS AS AN ARGUMENT TO RECEIVE GI BILL BENEFITS WHILE I AM FILING MY REQUEST TO THE DRB?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe the New VA Secretary is working on this so I would file my claim anyway.

check out this link.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/03/08/va-to-provide-mental-health-care-to-vets-bad-paper-discharges.html

• HadIt.com Elder

I was at a VA Symposium in Nashville last week, and they did talk about that. In fact the Deputy Sec is a disabled Vet, and he said they need to provide care to all veterans regardless of discharge type. He has been shopping the VA's for care in secret.

I have 3 DD214's, my record was always correct then on ebenefits one 214 was missing. I submitted all of the DD214's 3 times -

THEN  went to the intake office where I got my VA ID, had her re- correct the input information.

She saw where someone deleted my information. It is all correct now! Good Luck. 

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to be on top of people in the claims process, it is an adversarial adventure. You have to lead them.

I have 5 DD214's.  The VA will only put two on my letters.  I filed a claim to have all of them added and they said they can only put two.

I guess you only need one to get benefits, so there is that.  But then it dosent show your complete body of work.

And, I do have one DD215 (amended DD214) which is very special to me.  About 6 months after basic AIT, I recieved a DD215 for my "Expert" rifle badge during basic.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Ham I tried to get my 214 corrected, they had the dates wrong and I went for years never noticing it, I look at my DD- 214 Close up one night and found the dates  wrong and  in part of my service was not even on it  just my Vietnam Service and the dates are wrong on that.

I filed application to the Army Review Boards  West Virginia  to try to get it corrected and they basically laugh at me  saying I need records to prove my in service dates other than Vietnam..I don't have any records for my service prior to Vietnam  and I tried to explain that to them and all I have is my lay statement and the units I was with and the approx dates while in Germany...but that was not good enough, I wrote them back and requested them to find all my military records from my service dates in two different country's , I have tried to get all my military service dates and  where and when and who I was with  for some  reason or another I never got any of my military records from Germany,   I do have some medical reports from Germany in my C-FILE BUT THEY WON'T ACCEPT THEM EITHER?..this has been on-going almost 2 years now and not a word from them.

I am not sure I'll ever get my DD -214 Corrected to the 215? or not ?

getting to old to be fighting with anyone anymore.