VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

dental implants

Rate this question

deanbrt

Question

I am a 100% TDIU veteran. I had a botched root canal through the VA sending me to a university dental school almost 5 years ago and, after a visit to an endodontist through the choice program, have been advised I should get extraction,  a bone graft and two dental implants in the area where the molar is. My VA dental clinic has scheduled an appointment for next week to "review my options". I want the bone graft and dental implants. The endodontist said I would have a pretty wide area for a partial and they would have to crown the last molar for an anchor. 

Has anyone had this experience and was it approved? It looks like the big issue is few dental outlets accept the VA pay schedule and the VA must approve a variance to cover the cost difference.

Go with the $80/mo VA private Dental insurance you can get. There are just some things you don't go to VA for and dental work is the primary one. Ymmv, good luck.

I will be interested in hearing your options: tooth extraction? They completely blew my dental Dx by a mile, just to have Dx's the VA would not cover: remedied by solutions they did cover: performed by a private DDS. Be very afraid.

Edited by armorer

The outside endodontist they sent me to (after I reufused to go to the dental school) has recommended going to an oral surgeon in the city he is in. Then tooth extraction (2), a bone graft and, some months later dental implants, as I mentioned earlier. I suspect my VA dental clinic will try to get me to go along with tooth extraction and a partial bridge. If I understand the current choice program if I am more than 40 miles from the nearest dental clinic and the procedure cannot be done there I am eligible to use the choice program and pick one. But I have to call Choice today and get more information. I did read that only 5% of dentists accept the VA fee schedule and a variance must be approved for the rest. I am concerned about going through the scenario you went through. But they endodontist was very definitive in his diagnosis and recommendation and also that the VS never finished the root canal that has created bone loss. Seeing the VA clinic next Thursday and will provide an update after. 

I just finished up having this done.  I had two failed root canals that cracked to the roots, were pulled, bone grafts, implants and my crowns were just done on Monday.  If it is done correctly it is not a quick process and my VA dental in Gainesville (which is a 3 hour each way trip) did the entire thing and did a fantastic job.  I would not do it out in town if you can avoid it, it would be extremely expensive to have done on the insurance unless VA choiced you or fee basised you out.  The VA will pay to have it done or do it if they find you are a good candidate for the procedure.  I know not all VA dentals are created equal, I thankfully have a great general dentist. He send me to Gainesville to have the big stuff done or sends me to fee basis for other crap.  I do have teh insurance for emergencies but haven't had to use it.  Two implants done correctly with bone grafts is going to be a lot of money even with the insurance if they va isn't footing the bill.  Push for the VA to pay for it, they do ;) 

Edited by seminoles

Orlando Lake Nona VAMC has a new state of the art dental facility.  Good techs there (so far).  I got 4 implants last Dec, waiting till April for them to solidify for new teeth. This is under VR&E Ch 31.

Edited by pwrslm