VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

dental implants

Rate this question

deanbrt

Question

I am a 100% TDIU veteran. I had a botched root canal through the VA sending me to a university dental school almost 5 years ago and, after a visit to an endodontist through the choice program, have been advised I should get extraction,  a bone graft and two dental implants in the area where the molar is. My VA dental clinic has scheduled an appointment for next week to "review my options". I want the bone graft and dental implants. The endodontist said I would have a pretty wide area for a partial and they would have to crown the last molar for an anchor. 

Has anyone had this experience and was it approved? It looks like the big issue is few dental outlets accept the VA pay schedule and the VA must approve a variance to cover the cost difference.

• HadIt.com Elder

L

Your 100%  why not use the VA Dental Clinic?

The dental clinic at my VAMC is up to date with the latest technology   but appointments can sometimes be longer 30 days  that's my only bitch...but in an emergency they have to see you the day you go in.

My only bitch about the VA  they did two root canals  & crowns and about 6 months later They had to be extracted anyway, I was made partials but they don't fit correct and had them adjusted several times AND JUST SAID FORGET IT... and the wait time now is 8 months.

I just had a cleaning yesterday waited 8 months on that, yesterday after the hygienist finished  she said for me to check out front to make another cleaning appointment because there booked up for a year...I got my next cleaning appointment on Nov 16 2017  which is bett/faster than waiting a year.

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

L

Your 100%  why not use the VA Dental Clinic?

The dental clinic at my VAMC is up to date with the latest technology   but appointments can sometimes be longer 30 days  that's my only bitch...but in an emergency they have to see you the day you go in.

My only bitch about the VA  they did two root canals  & crowns and about 6 months later They had to be extracted anyway, I was made partials but they don't fit correct and had them adjusted several times AND JUST SAID FORGET IT... and the wait time now is 8 months.

I just had a cleaning yesterday waited 8 months on that, yesterday after the hygienist finished  she said for me to check out front to make another cleaning appointment because there booked up for a year...I got my next cleaning appointment on Nov 16 2017  which is bett/faster than waiting a year.

Buck,

When Chapter 31 gave me a dental checkup, VA dental was 'way-off' wrong on 2 out of 2 dx's! I've got the 'good' insurance from Chapter 31 though at about $78/mo (NOT Delta!). So being right next to the old brain, proper dental care is that impotant to me. VA health care is way below .500 and VA dental care is sitting on .000 right now. You really don't need ANY engineering statistical background coursework to make a prudent decision as far as I'm concerned. Before you know it, my jaw could be permanently disfigured due to trying to save $78/mo!

I admit, they sound impressive when getting a checkup, but that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. ymmv. Good luck Brother!

Edited by armorer

2 hours ago, armorer said:

Buck,

When Chapter 31 gave me a dental checkup, VA dental was 'way-off' wrong on 2 out of 2 dx's! I've got the 'good' insurance from Chapter 31 though at about $78/mo (NOT Delta!). So being right next to the old brain, proper dental care is that impotant to me. VA health care is way below .500 and VA dental care is sitting on .000 right now. You really don't need ANY engineering statistical background coursework to make a prudent decision as far as I'm concerned. Before you know it, my jaw could be permanently disfigured due to trying to save $78/mo!

I admit, they sound impressive when getting a checkup, but that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. ymmv. Good luck Brother!

armorer,

I suggest you do your homework, those dental plans have an annual cap and the average dental implant that includes bone graft properly done with an oral surgeon, prosethedontist etc. can cost over 7k each, so not including your copay one implant has already exceeded the annual cap on the best plan that you can purchase and your are paying out of pocket at least 3-4k for ONE tooth.   Of course not all dentists are equal, va or otherwise.  I happen to have fantastic va dentists and I also have the dental plan as a 100% rated vet with a family when I purchase it for them, it includes me.  Educating yourself on how dental plans work, what percentage they pay for what care and what their annual and lifetime caps are is very important.  I do use my insurance for extra cleanings but still get cleanings at the VA as well, mostly to have another set of eyes on my dental care as I have dental sc issues as well and another set of eyes are always a good thing.  Our family dentist is great about letting me know his opinion of what needs to be taken care of and understanding that the cost for that very extensive work is high even with insurance and is always there for me for the little stuff and emergencies. 

Edited by seminoles

Agree with Seminoles. The outside dental insurance has caps on coverage. I am guessing I might have paid up to 5 figures for bone grafts and then implants for the two teeth. But I think I was owed. I was sent to the university dental school by the VA and a dental student royally messed up the root canal that destroyed one of my molars and led to bone loss. I was a little unhappy to find out after 5 years the root canal was never finished after going to an outside endodontist.