VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD and Federal Law Enforcement

Rate this question

bigGUNs82

Question

Hi, brand new member here.

I have recently been honorably discharged from the military and have applied to several federal law enforcement agencies.

I am VA disabled for PTSD. Will this disqualify me from federal LE service? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No idea but what's your PTSD Rating SC %?

Strictly my take now, what kind of problems could a Vet DX'd with PTSD have dealing with occasionally cantankerous ner do wells, law breakers, and felons?  From a litigation perspective, I just can't see a City, County or State that could or want to afford the exposure.

Have you identified your VA PTSD DX on your employment applications? Definitely, something you want to be upfront about.

Semper Fi

1 hour ago, Gastone said:

No idea but what's your PTSD Rating SC %?

Strictly my take now, what kind of problems could a Vet DX'd with PTSD have dealing with occasionally cantankerous ner do wells, law breakers, and felons?  From a litigation perspective, I just can't see a City, County or State that could or want to afford the exposure.

Have you identified your VA PTSD DX on your employment applications? Definitely, something you want to be upfront about.

Semper Fi

Thank you for responding. My rating is 50%. I would be upfront about it on applications, no doubt. I served in Afghanistan back in '08 and returned home just never feeling quite right. I have nightmares about the sand box, feel apprehensive around large, loud crowds, experience anxiety, but I don't think it would interfere with my work as fed law enforcement ofc.

Hate to say this but you may have another "Think" coming. With all the recent Police Shootings News coverage, I just can't see any PD taking the chance hiring someone with a current MH DX, to carry a gun.

That doesn't mean a job with Law Enforcement is completely out of the question. It's just the whole PTSD anger & depression issues associated with a 50% Rating. Dealing directly with the public could be a real challenge.

Good Luck

Semper Fi

Have you applied to Homeland Security using your Military Preference?

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think if you never had any indictments or charges brought up because of your PTSD they would give you a chance  and especially if you have  Criminal Justice Degree. or Experience in Law Enforcement?

Many Many Law Enforcement Officers have a diagnose of PTSD...It happens to some when faced with trauma event or events  in this field of occupation.

One of our members is a long time  Federal Marshall (Retired) georgiapapa I believe.