VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

APPEAL FOR TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY

Rate this question

SliderHD

Question

I am currently rated at 40% combined and have filed for both TBI and Tinnitus (ringing in ears) three times and have been denied three times. The VA neuro tech that saw me during C&P exam stated that my getting knocked out after falling down a stairwell on a ship was not serious enough to constitute a TBI, but maybe a mild concussion, and that I show no cognitive issues now.  I also have Tinnitus in both ears, and VA denied me; yet after the denial, they sent me to a VA contracted audiologist who determined that I needed hearing aids for hearing loss (minimal at certain ranges) and Tinnitus.  I now wear hearing aids with Tinnitus maskers, and the VA says that it is not service connected; yet they paid for the devices....makes no sense to me.

Well my wife would disagree.  I have issues sleeping, memory issues, become argumentative about not remembering and just flat out do not act the way I did in my younger days.  Now I admit that some of this may be my own issue, but I truly believe that the TBI has something to do with the memory and sleep issues.  Being argumentative is a bi-product of the memory and I get pissed because I cant remember things.  My long term memory is not bad, but my short term is getting worse all the time.

My question is:  What avenues do I have, other than filing a 4th appeal and being denied?  I know I have a TBI: I can prove it occurred in service (in my medical records) and I have cognitive effects to this day.  

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by SliderHD
Missed putting something in

That is GREAT News Lenkl!

For those interested, this PH article explains the SMC "T" award.

http://onlinedigeditions.com/display_article.php?id=997778

Question-is the 100% SC the rating you get solely for the Brain Trauma?

reason I ask....I have a pending issue- husband was 100% P & T due to a 1151 Stroke, which VA granted under 1151 (malpractice) but, regardless of the medical evidence I have for a 100 % P & T posthumous status, (P & T documented by 2 VA doctors, NYS student loan waiver, Voc Rehab, et etc ) etc etc , the director of my VA (I still can hardly believe what she said)

insisted he was Total but not Permanent when he died ( the stroke was a contributing death factor)yet I asked her what specific cure did VA provide and never tell him about , before he died.All vets who died with a Total 100% should have a P & T status when they die...just like they awarded for my husband's 100% SC  PTSD at death.

There is a $$$$$ reason my VARO AGAIN is fighting me all they can... but I am curious as to the 100% rating which I assume is due to the brain Trauma and it's residuals. ?

Thank you for reminding ALL here that we should Never give up!

BTW-did they also give you P & T or do they somehow expect to cure the disabling affects of the brain trauma (damage) ...which is ,as far as I know , medically impossible.