VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Establishing Veterans Affairs Service Connection for Disability Compensation 

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Establishing Veterans Affairs Service Connection for Disability Compensation 

There are two types of service-connection: Direct and Presumptive There are three requirements to establish direct service-connection for residuals of injuries and diseases; In-service documentation of an injury or disease. A current condition with a medical diagnosis and a medical nexus connecting 1 and 2. “Before November 2000, when the VCAA was enacted, veterans had to obtain a medical diagnosis of a current … Continue reading

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Tbird,

Thanks, a good read.  I did learn something.  Chronic.  I see now why some of my claims were denied as I could show the injury happened while on duty, but I did not have any follow through or additional action.  Therefore, acute.

Just another one of those VA things a Soldier should know while on active duty, and not just learn about years after they leave service.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

I Agree ham   every veteran filing claims should read this! it could very well save time and $ and not have to get in the appeals line.

Informal claim

Very good article- One thing I was wondering, I'm thinking it's now an 'ITF' -

They'll call what was an informal claim an 'RFA;' 'Request For Application'. It has no bearing on effective date

Could be wrong here.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe the ITF would be 12 months or more if the veteran gets the claim in  in time for the ITF,  If it takes the claim longer for a decision than the 12 month ITF then they do pay the extra months.

I been told they only give 12 months on the ITF Claim  but I had a ITF and filed it with in a year  like almost 12 months later before I filed the claim and it took them  extra months for a decision and they paid me for the extra months.