VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Disability Claim Reconsideration Submission

Rate this question

Alohavet

Question

Long time listener, first time caller.  I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to my specific question.  I've submitted my initial claim, had my C&P exams and was only approved for half the injuries I submitted, even though all are documented in my SMRs as occuring in service and I submitted records showing current problems. 

So I went out and got IMO reports from two doctors (MD and Psych, both specializing in VA claims) rebutting the VA findings, wrote personal statements, have a cover letter stating new and material evidence and have Dr completed DBQs.  I organized them all into one package with my name, claim # and Page x of x listed at the bottom.  I'm ready to submit.  BUT, the VSO I'm working with now only accepts appointments, doesn't accept voicemails, only communicates via email, and the wait for an appt is 30 days.  I don't want to waste the 30 days.  It seems I can mail my package to my VA Regional Office via (certified mail with return receipt) instead of waiting the 30 days for the VSO to send.

My questions are, am I missing something by sending directly to the VARO or is there a reason to wait for the appt with the VSO and let them submit it instead? And CAN I send direct to the VARO?    

Thanks

Alohavet

Edited by Alohavet

2 answers to this question

If you have the sh*t in the can, no. You can always submit on your own, and if you do it via Ebenefits you can upload your documentation directly to them and its timestamped, too. VSOs are great in some instances but much of the time with a well developed claim they don't do anything you can do on your own, faster. If it gets thorny they can sometimes recommend how to get better documentation or explain the regs to you but between forums and the regs posted openly for reading most people will get along just fine. 

^^^ Very good advice on submitting claims and evidence.

someone here said VSOs are great at getting you to submit claims, but poor of follow up

I'd suggest considering exactly what you are doing, though- I'm in no way qualified to even suggest what to do in your case- if you are denied something for which you are pretty clearly service connected- you might wish to read the appeals forum, there's lots there about reconsideration, Appeal vs effective date and extending the length of an eventual appeal til past we're all wards of cemetery administration