VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Veterans who get TDIU for mental health issues still being forced against their own will to have a fiduciary?

Rate this question

kent101

Question

I was just wondering if I was ever to try and get TDIU for PTSD if the VA is going to send me a letter saying they appointed a fiduciary and I can't choose to fight it? Are they still doing that to veterans?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe it depends on the severity and complex of your symptoms especially if it keeps you from working and IU is Inferred....you never know what box the C&P Examiner will check his X in

If you demonstrate that you can't take care of you or your finances  its likey the examiner will check the incompetence box .

While in everything there's the chance someone will do something arbitrary, it seems most of the time it's used appropriately.

So a person tells a clinician they use their entire comp check to buy coke ... We'd all probably think it was best someone else dealth with their finances

This is just from my narrow view- dealing with the VA there's sometimes increased worry that there's some jerk just waiting to hurt you

When you get a Nexus, it is a 'prime goal' to say you are financially independent to handle all of your affairs, or it's the LAST thing you add in CAPS from the M.D. Of course, just 'surviving' on what the VA allows as a rating over time is laughable, much less proof positive, that you can survive on limitied resources. The Rater will see your history, but it is still advised to have it highlighted near the end of the Nexus on a separated paragraph sentence as the last note in your Nexus (I read that on those VA education courses for sale on this site - I got about a half dozen of those for my VA education!)

If you don't have it already, I'd get a VA certified paperwork M.D. to add a one sentence amendment to your C-File immediately! 

Edited by armorer

Kent, quite often the last person to know a Vet needs a Fiduciary, is the Vet.

The VA Fiduciary Appointment is a Facts Based Decision. What your PCP, MH Clinician, and/or the C & P Clinician put down on the DBQ will rule the day.

I had a little experience with a VA Intent to appoint a Fiduciary for my bro-inlaw back in 2014. His VA Cancer Dr had indicated he wasn't capable of handling his own finances on the VA Dr's Housebound application. A home meeting with a VA Representative from the Fiduciary Dept. was scheduled for about 2 - 3 Weeks after the VA's Letter.

Keep in mind, my Bro-inlaw had been handling all his own finances. At the end of the home interview, the VA Fiduciary Social Worker, agreed to not appoint the VA Fiduciary as long as his sister agreed to handle all of his monthly expenditures and forward an itimizedReport to the VA Rep.

As it turned out, he did need a Fiduciary of some sort. After my wife got into his Debit Card info, turned out his X Wife was hitting him up for about $600 per mos for food and supposedly Vetranary expenses for their dogs.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have mixed feelings on this topic. I have seen all sides of it. I think if you are capable of managing your own finances you should be allowed to. Also, you can work with the Fiduciary to see if you in fact can. This can be a blessing in disguise, especially if there are  people trying to tap your resources. I have seen homeless vets at 100% in the Domiciliary that could not leave because they were handing money to family instead of saving it for housing, and other essentials. People will take your money, but that does not always heal a relationship. You can always blame the Fiduciary. It just depends on the situation.