VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What will probably happen if i request a copy of my C-file with an active claim pending?

Rate this question

saxman

Question

Hi all, I have an claim pending and stuck in gathering evidence for 4 months.  I would like to request my c-file but I'm wondering will the VA label it as a claim and lump it with the claim I have pending and consider it one claim therefore pushing the my current claim even further back?  One main reason I would like a copy is so I can prepare myself for a NOD if I need to for this current claim, and another is to see what the Dr wrote from my last c&p exam. Note, the exam was done by QTC, so I don't have the easy access to the exam.  I know he told me that my issues were service connected, so therefore I would really like to see exactly what her wrote.    Thanks in advance for any reply. 

MikeR, I didn't need to "ghost" this site, joined it right away after I saw that folks here know what they are talking about.

There are times and situations though where veterans need legal help, and hadit.com has that covered too, though there is ONE so-called "lawyer" who is here on the site that does nothing but waste veteran's time in order to get paid more money.

On the other side of the coin, Chris Attig has to be one of the best veteran's lawyer there is.

Tbird, Buck, broncovet, Berta...you guys are great!

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Back to your C-File question regarding how it affects your current claim.

If you think you need it, why do you care if it adds some time to your open claim? I think it's still taking about a year to receive the CD, almost the same as when I received my 9 inch package back in 14. Currently, I've been waiting about 6 mos for my 2016 FOIA Fax Request.

Keep in mind, the Date you file your FOIA for a copy of your C-File, is the Cut off Date for your records. There will be nothing included, post your FOIA File Date.

I received my C-File mid 01/14 from an 11/12 FOIA. Had 2 DRO Hearing Req from 10 & 12 Pending. Received a DRO Hearing Date early 05/14 for 06/23/14. Never really got around to doing a major review of my C-File. All issues from 10, including the 12 IU NOD were Awarded by the DRO. Received the DRO Award Letter the same afternoon as the Hearing Date.

Semper Fi

Gastone, do you think the reason you got your DRO Award Letter so fast was because of the amount of money/back pay involved?

For informational purposes, is it true that if you're due a rather large amount in back pay, then you're basically looking at months before you will:

1. Receive a DRO letter, or any letter for that matter?

2. Not expect to see any back pay for a few months as well?

Is it true that "larger" awards(money wise) require signatures beyond the RO?

As you know, I asked my rep to take  that "walk down the hallway" to get a copy of my CUE and IU decision, which was approved on the spot, and my rep tore my head off for even asking!

OK, got off subject, but as long as what I wrote is helpful, who cares right?

Right!

I opted for an "Informal DRO Hearing" after I asked the DRO why I had never received my 10/13 requested "Informal DRO Evidence Conference." His response was, "We can do it now. No swearing in or transcription. If at anytime I want to switch back over to the Scheduled Official Hearing, Recorded & Transcribed, all I had to do was wave a hand and say let's switch over to the Official Hearing."

Stayed Informal for 35 min, DRO said he was going to address my 11/12 NOD for IU because I opted for the Informal Hearing. At the end, he said he was Awarding everything, just had to check on some of the Retro Staging. That afternoon, my VRO Hearing Rep called me saying he had the Award on his desk. I received a 5 figure Retro Deposit 3 weeks later, needed the additional approval signature. The actual VA Award Letter arrived the end of 08/14.

Semper Fi

Thanks everybody for the input on my question.  I will put in the request for my c-file as my claim goes through it's process because I would like to have it to prep for a NOD if I need to and also find out what else is in there because I filed several claims since getting a copy of my last c-file.

This is several years ago but my RO treated my request for a copy of my c file like a new claim and pushed me to the back of the line. Fortunately, I had set up monitoring my claim status electronically and saw it right away. I rescinded the request and complained nationally, I eventiually won my claim but it was 6 long years. My advice is that all figure out how to monitor their claims online. It gives you an advance heads up on what is going on...