VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

KIA Vietnam vet denied Purple Heart, need help

Rate this question

miatabrg91

Question

Please google "CPL James D. Davis" on Facebook for several articles concerning a 46 year remembrance many members of his unit had for him. Four fellow brothers were kia'd and denied purple hearts under the friendly fire rule. The family thought the medal was missing all these years. I have no idea how to go about correcting this wrong for James, his family and his fellow soldiers families. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Creig Anderson

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

b) Individuals wounded or killed as a result of "friendly fire" in the "heat of battle" will be awarded thePurple Heart as long as the "friendly" projectile or agent was released with the full intent of inflicting damage or destroying enemy troops or equipment.

http://www.recognizethesacrifice.org/purple-heart-criteria.html

Was he formally denied the PH?

Did he fall into all the PH criteria in this link?

Did the family ever send in a DD 149? That form is here under a search.

I dont do Facebook but Broncovet is right.....

DD 149s have brought many many veterans their proper awards.

I have my husband's DD 214 and his 215 that resulted from the DD 149 application.

At least he got to know, before he died, all of the awards that were missing on his DD 214.

That happened to many Vietnam vets.He got all the medals ,with the 215, except those from Vietnam Gov and the letter told him to purchase those Vietnamese medals from any PX, or BX.

Here is the form:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

I believe it will need a death certificate attached, and make sure the instructions are followed on it and that it is sent to the right place.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I had no Luck from this place & they are slow getting back to you,if you were US Army This is the address to send your form 149 my request is still in Appeals...although it was not for the P.H.

Army Review Boards Agency 251 18th Street South, Suite 385 Arlington, VA 22202-3531

Buck, the back of the DD 149 says this:

"MAIL COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO APPROPRIATE ADDRESS BELOW ARMY (For Active Duty Personnel) Army Board for the Correction of Military Records 1941 Jefferson Davis Highway, 2nd Floor Arlington, VA 22202-4508 (For Other than Active Duty Personnel) Army Review Boards Agency Support Division, St. Louis ATTN: SFMR-RBR-SL 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, MO 63132-5200 COAST GUARD Chairman Board for Correction of Military Records (C-60) Department of Transportation 400 7th St., SW Washington, DC 20590 NAVY AND MARINE CORPS Board for Correction of Naval Records 2 Navy Annex Washington, DC 20370-5100 AIR FORCE Board for Correction of Air Force Records SAF/MIB 550-C Street West, Suite 40 Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4742"

file:///C:/Users/Berta/Downloads/dd0149%20(1).pdf

I think you needed to use the address above  for "other than Active duty personnel".

Also you can try this link and even re apply on line if you need to.

The link is dated Sept 2016 but I cannot open it....weather problems here affecting my Satellite----I dont know if this will even post

Correcting Military Service Records | National Archives

Sep 8, 2016 - Submit DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records PDF image to the ...Army: Contact the Army Review Board Agency (ARBA) .

• HadIt.com Elder

:smile: Yes Ms berta you are absolutely correct as always this basically for for Active Duty Personal Only

Also For Veterans it has  the Box of Address's to use for each branch of military service,

U.S. Army (the Navy & Marines is the same address)  & then the Air Force/Coast Guard has a different Address.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf