VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My experience at the VA clinic today (Question)

Rate this question

Cobra4v

Question

Hello all, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section. But I wanted to discuss my experience today at my local clinic. First off, I am 100% T&P one of my conditions is right shoulder loss of ROM. I've been dealing with this since I was 19 YOA in the Marines. And have been treated by my VA since My EAS. Now I'm civilian working in law enforcement. While on the job I hurt my shoulder again. Which caused a flare up. I seemed care through my VA and reported it to my employer. My employer wanted a fit for duty form filled out by my P/C. 

So today as I checked in and met with the nurse to take my readings and speak about my reason for being their. She told me I should have reported it to workmans comp. She also told me that it's not fair I get treated from the VA as I'm taking money from veterans who need care. I felt very offended about this. I was trying to do the right thing by going to the VA and keeping on top of my condition. I didn't look at as taking money from other vets, I would never do that! It was already suspected I had a labrum tear even before I was LEO and I am waiting for an MRI which is next week. 

My question is, am I wrong to go to the VA? I was under the impression any condition which was originally cause by military service and has worsened over time due to every day activities or work is still a service connected issue? I just need to know the legality in this, I thought I did the right thing but now I'm not so sure.

• HadIt.com Elder

Really, that is rich. Sounds like she needs customer service training. The issue is service connected. End of story. Personally, I would report that interaction to the Patient Advocate. The VA Deputy  Sec  is a disabled vet, he is shopping the VA without telling them he is the Deputy Sec. The reality is that a condition can be made worse from other activities, but the injury sustained on active duty is the VA's responsibility. If you have other insurance and chose a different care schema/plan it is your choice. This nurse is way out of line. You are a disabled Marine Corp Vet, and you put your life on the line as a LEO. How dare she! Now I am pissed......

Please talk to the patient advocate about her. 2 years ago we had the most awful counter people at our clinic (attitude, resistance, smirking, you name it). Enough people complained to the patient advocate ... and they changed up the staff. They brought in much higher level, mature staff and increased the supervision.

Your shoulder was service-connected. If it wasn't previously injured maybe it wouldn't have been aggravated by work.

Get out your can of whoop-a** and call the patient advocate. I bet you're not the only person who she's had attitude with.

They are supposed to be professional. Her opinion is not the law and she needs to keep it to herself.

Edited by AgentOrangeWife

Thank you for replying and your support. At that moment I was completely shocked with how she approached the situation. And it agrivated me she suggested I was hurting other veterans chances of obtaining care because of my issue. I will be contacting patient advocacy tomorrow about this. She was way out of line. But I wanted to make sure my anger and frustration is justified before I release the reins. 

2 hours ago, Cobra4v said:

Thank you for replying and your support. At that moment I was completely shocked with how she approached the situation. And it agrivated me she suggested I was hurting other veterans chances of obtaining care because of my issue. I will be contacting patient advocacy tomorrow about this. She was way out of line. But I wanted to make sure my anger and frustration is justified before I release the reins. 

While she is providing medical care to you, she should remember that you are her customer and you are there for your shoulder not for a lecture. Remind the patient advocate that no Veteran deserves to be treated that way. What if she says something to someone else and triggers them. I'm still steamed just thinking about this.

Also, you did the right thing because knowing the tangle of VA claims / benefits processes, they would probably ding you if you went non-VA.

Let us know how it goes and what the advocate says. They are usually good, caring people.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cobra4v  Your post is ok here its in the Ask General Questions Forum

I know you don't intend to take $ from veterans, We all know that here on Hadit, the  Dr,Nurse OR PA  PC or who ever mention this to you is just insecure of his/ her own self and don't know proper etiquette  and manners obviously.

so if you were treated and got a fair assessment of your medical problem...I'd just let it run off the old ducks back and move on....getting it on with the VA you hardly have a chance, you are 100%P&T so don't make matters any worse.

If your ok and got medical treatment  then if it was me I'd leave well enough alone.

but its your choice as what to do or report this or what ever you feel is right to do.  this is just my unbiased opinion.

Some times those VA Dr's and Nurse's PA /PC's  piss me off to no end &  I just bite my tongue and move on  although I want to just  haul off and Knock the piss out of e'm some times.

This kind of thing happens all to often  and apparently  it don't do any good to report it   the Patient Advocate will just say that's a no no to the Person that mention this to you  and that person will get out of it by lying or saying things like  OMG I was only kidding him....nothing usually is done to the VA Employee as for as being Accountable.

Edited by Buck52

Make no mistake:  People are jealous of those of us who served.  They are jealous we get medical care, benefits, etc.  You can not fix their jealousy.  

If they wanted Veterans benfits, then they needed to serve.  

Its like a car.   If you want the car, you ultimately have to pay the price to buy the car, even tho that price may be negotiable.  

They did not pay the price (of military service).  

This jealousy even occurs with VA employees.  (Especially VA employees).  There is a culture of denial infecting VA.  It assumes all Veterans are lazy frauds conning the government out of undeserved money.  This is why we have to "prove" our claim before we get one cent.  At IRS, then send you thousands of dollars..based on your statements on the tax return.  They check later..and you will be in trouble if you lie..but they send the check pronto.  Va, however, unlike the IRS, investigates every little detail before giving you a penny, assuming every Veteran is a liar and a fraud.  As a citizen of US, you are assumed to be telling the truth on your tax return, until proven otherwise, but, as a Veteran you are assumed to be a liar.