VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My experience at the VA clinic today (Question)

Rate this question

Cobra4v

Question

Hello all, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section. But I wanted to discuss my experience today at my local clinic. First off, I am 100% T&P one of my conditions is right shoulder loss of ROM. I've been dealing with this since I was 19 YOA in the Marines. And have been treated by my VA since My EAS. Now I'm civilian working in law enforcement. While on the job I hurt my shoulder again. Which caused a flare up. I seemed care through my VA and reported it to my employer. My employer wanted a fit for duty form filled out by my P/C. 

So today as I checked in and met with the nurse to take my readings and speak about my reason for being their. She told me I should have reported it to workmans comp. She also told me that it's not fair I get treated from the VA as I'm taking money from veterans who need care. I felt very offended about this. I was trying to do the right thing by going to the VA and keeping on top of my condition. I didn't look at as taking money from other vets, I would never do that! It was already suspected I had a labrum tear even before I was LEO and I am waiting for an MRI which is next week. 

My question is, am I wrong to go to the VA? I was under the impression any condition which was originally cause by military service and has worsened over time due to every day activities or work is still a service connected issue? I just need to know the legality in this, I thought I did the right thing but now I'm not so sure.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you are entitled to your opinion.

I've see BS like this trigger veterans  it triggers me  but nothing is ever done, our /us veterans voice don't mean a thing..so why stir the pot or make matters worse than they are. that's all I have to say about it.

If you can change things  then by all means do it.

I been listen to this kind of BS for 45 years or more.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had this discussion with a friend today. The VA has to change, the client base has more social media tools to make it happen. Vietnam Vets are still treated very poorly by the VA as a matter of policy it seems. My Dad did recently get new teeth, but he has had to learn not to go off on people in order to get help. If you have a problem with a VA contractor, ask them for the name of the COR (Contracting Officer Rep) on their contract is. You can report them to the COR, who will report to the Contracting shop. Respect is a two way street, people in pain will be grumpy. People with mental issues will not always kiss your ass. The VA needs to do a better job with sensitivity training, and instead of the "ICARE"campaign annual training. They need to do it monthly. Sorry for the rant.

30 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Yes you are entitled to your opinion.

I've see BS like this trigger veterans  it triggers me  but nothing is ever done, our /us veterans voice don't mean a thing..so why stir the pot or make matters worse than they are. that's all I have to say about it.

If you can change things  then by all means do it.

I been listen to this kind of BS for 45 years or more.

buck52

Dealing with the VA and ebenefits is more adrenaline and blood pressure spiking than a cup of coffee!!

I'm only starting year 3 of dealing with the VA. Are you telling me that in another 42 years I won't want to stir the pot anymore:lol:?

No offense meant, cheers,

A/Owife

Edited by AgentOrangeWife

• HadIt.com Elder

No offense taken.

I don't even see why you mention that?

if your just starting out with the VA I will say you have a lot to learn as for as stiring the pot if & 

after you do you will feel the heat of it I promise you.

I do not want to argue with you  Nore do I condone Instigating on this forum. , you can disagree with me all day long that's your choice, I chose to let this veteran know  my opinion/views on this matter & that is to leave well enough alone and not instigate it. ...> it is his choice to do what he wants or thinks is better for him.

Getting VA Employee's Clerks  & Dr  & Nurse's PA's PC's mad at you , they can and will make it hard for you in the future.  (Unless the New Administration makes the change we need.)

people & veterans alike have tried to voice their opinion or ask for change  for a long long time ( it don't happen)...its been this way a long long time... & as for as this Veteran stiring the pot  thats his choice.

I am just saying its better to leave things be than to stir the pot so-to-speak.(over something someone mention) This is only my Opinion/Views on this matter and you have yours which is obsite of my Views Obviously 

If its not Broke then don't fix it.

This is my last post on this.

• HadIt.com Elder

To follow Buck's point on the employee's......you have to be the nice one in the room if you can. Let them show their butt. My dad has impressed me with his handling of the VA. He goes to appointments with slacks, nice shirt, shoes, and a blazer. He looks like a guy that will contact the Center Director. Trust me, no employee wants that. You don't know, a bad employee could be that one complaint away from being placed on a PIP. That is the first step in the documentation process. You have a lot more power than you know. VA Management sometimes needs your help to get rid of these people. Scott Blackburn made it clear that he is shopping the VA as a Disabled Vet. He is reporting back to Shulken who is pretty tired of the VA business as usual. He was CEO of Beth Israel so I see changes coming. Congress will have to navigate 100 years of civil service rights, but it is coming. Of course in management we have problem people too. I have seen 3 people fired in my office in the last 2 years alone.

So, back to the original issue and my perspective,

I have both VA and employee insurance.  I beleive, that they work together and actually talk or comunicate.  I see in eBenefits my employer insurance is noted.  And I have seen where I have went to my private doctor related to my service connected conditions and I have told the VA clinic doc about not service connected issues and have gotten a VA prescription for it.

I can not say either one paid for something the other was supposed to or vise versa, etc.  I just don't know.

As far as a nurse, or anyone for that matter, at the VA telling you you are taking money away from another Veteran is just a bunch of crap.

I have a pile of stories of what happened to me when serving that civilians have not comprehension of.

My favorite is when in OCS, we had a Class A formation out on the "grinder".  It was -10 degree windchill.  All six of us on the left side of the formation recieved frost bite to our left ears.  We were in formation for about 20 minutes.  Everyone says that they would not have done that.  I tell them, then you would not have made it through the course.

I am service connected for frost bite left ear at 0% (of course).

FWIW,

Hamslice