VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another year Another Clothing Allowance Mess

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

Got a letter to submit my claim for Clothing Allowance, I submitted the forms to the Prosthetic Department and got a letter saying they denied my claim because my knee brace doesn't qualify under the regulations. Now I have had the same type hinged metal brace for 15 years now and the metal is not cover by any material. It's the same one I got and allowance for last year and the year before and so on. It seems they try this every other year. I sent a picture of my brace and mail it to the prosthetic department and asked them to explain to me what I am appealing their decision on. In checking the VHA Handbook as I see it my brace qualify for an allowance. So I am waiting to see if they will respond and let me know what am I appealing beside just them saying it doesn't qualify.

Anyone else having this type of problem? Or did they change the regulations and haven't updated the Handbook governing clothing allowance?

4 answers to this question

I just called the Assistant Director of the Prosthetic Department to get an explanation as to why my clothing allowance application was denied so I would know exactly what to appeal. After pulling my file an checking the brace I wear he said he doesn't know why they denied it. He said I see you have been getting an allowance on this type brace for years and he was going to check on why it was denied and call be back. He said it may have just been an error and they can fix it or I would still have to appeal their decision. So I am waiting to hear back and see what direction I will be going.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay, 

I hope they fix it. You seem to have a constant runaround on the CA, and there is no excuse for it.

I don't get it at all. If they check my file from the previous year's they would know that I qualify for clothing allowance. I have been receiving clothing allowance after checking my files for 21 years with the same type of hinged metal brace. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That's IF they checked your file...

Sounds like more Friday filing at the expense of the veteran...