VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Was told I should not have been given a copy of my ruling?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

OK folks, wasn't sure if this is the right Forum for this question/incident, but it is an Entitlement(I think).

Back in January of this year I was awarded, on the spot, P&T IU, as well as an CUE via a RO formal hearing.

After months of waiting, waiting...on some kind of paperwork, not to mention a bank deposit, I decided I would go check with the county VA office.

The county VA office printed me out a 'preliminary' copy of the award, I gave them a smile, a "thank you" and proceeded to the local car dealer, bought a new car, used the award to exempt myself from property taxes on that car, and drove home a happy camper.

The next day the county tax assessors office called me and said they couldn't exempt me from the property taxes on the car because the award I gave them wasn't "official", and that I had 90 days to either come up with an official letter stating I was 100% disabled, or I would have to pay the property taxes on the car, which for a BMW 745 is just under 3k!

What the $%^&?!

Anyway, so this morning I go back to the county office and ask them what's the deal with the so-called "award" letter not being "official"? The Super told me that the clerk should not have given me a copy of the award in the first place, and after asking why not, the Super told me that "The award we printed up for you is not a final decision award, because of the large amount of money involved in your case, the award takes 3 signatures before it's actually approved...and my award hasn't reached that level..."

What?!

Has this happened to anyone else? Should local/county VA offices deny you a copy of your award, no matter what "phase" it's in?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH! 

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks like you could get on e benefits and print out your property tax letter.

Question 

what about the vehicle property tax?  I only get a property tax exp on my home.

I never knew a vehicle had a property tax exemption?

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet is correct bout the VSO letters  they are ''Unofficial'' everything in the packet from either the Claims Intake Center   or your Regional Office Is Official.

Try Calling Peggy and request your EOB, it should be on file while awaiting the 3 signatures you need  &  also ask about that too.

Your Award  date  of 1-27-17...it shoud be  getting pretty close for them to let you know.  I'd say any time now...so check your mail offten

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Buck52

Buck, in my state 100% disabled vets get one "dwelling" and two vehicles for property tax exemptions.

Now, as I've said a few times in this thread about Ebenefits, my Ebenefits page is so far behind, they are still listing a private attorney as my rep, even though almost two years ago I went to the American Legion, designated them as my rep, filled out all the paperwork and it was transmitted to the VA.

I got my 100% in January, and my Ebenefits page still shows me at 80%, even though I have my "unofficial" award in hand.

As far as Peggy, I will take you up on that and call her tomorrow(again), and let you know the outcome.

As a footnote, I took your advice before about calling Peggy at the 800 number, and was told  by a VA rep, "I can help you like Peggy, whoever that is, can..." I told the rep to forget it.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

allansc2005

You can  get on your e benefits site and request them to ''update'' your entire e benefits pages or check at your local VAMC e benefits office   and request the up-date  because your e benefits site obviously is not on Auto-Updates.  or let them know about what is happening on your e benefits pages.

I could be wrong but from what you mention about your e benefits  its just not being up-dated for some reason or another?

EOB  is ''Explanation of Benefits''

As for as the Property Tax  exemption  I understand about the different states and the county you live in  but they should go by this Federal Mandated Exemption for the entire cont USA For ever Veteran that is 100%  disabled,  but the Veteran needs to apply for it/& homestead his Property/Home he owns and lives in)

I don't believe a Veteran needs to be P&T to get the property tax Exemption.   just 100% and he/she is eligible. The property tax office in your county can ''bark at this'' but in my opinion their suppose to honor all Veterans Tax Exemptions.

However my letter does say  ''check with your local tax assessment office.''

I was thinking you meant not paying property tax or sales tax on your vehicle?

The vehicle exemption for me in Texas is for the  vehicle registration each year only , I pay a 3.00 processing fee for my truck tags every year with the vehicle  exemption but the wife car is not exempt. 

Also my Property tax exemption for my home includes all property,Hospital, County & School Tax.

I don't pay any taxes at all  on my home , I homestead my home with the county I live in  which is Dallas County. (Which the County of Dallas Requires the Homestead) 

Which I advise to keep this to your self,  I mention it to my neighbor and he was pissed,  I said well to bad your not a  100% S.C. Disabled Veteran. eh!

Edited by Buck52

Buck52, the "contact" feature on my Ebenefits page is "Unavailable", I can get email there, but not send it. In other words, I can't request anything from my Ebenefits page.

I've already talked to the VA about the slowness of my Ebenefits page, and they said "everybody has that problem, we are running slow"

Speaking of slowness, and some stupidity, I got a call from C&P on Friday wanting me to come in and see an ENT Dr., due to vertigo, and I was JUST awarded 30% for Vertigo stemming from a CUE this January!

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!