VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fever of Unknown Origin - 15 Years

Rate this question

cd928

Question

Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice.  I have a really unique situation.   I’ve had a recurring case of Fever of Unknown origin for 15 years.   It started when I was in the Air Force and has been going on ever since.  I get high fevers up to 104 for several months at a time, year after year. Even when I don’t have a fever, I have horrible fatigue.    Despite many many workups and hospitalizations, doctors have not been able to figure out what causes it and have given up – I’ve been told to just live with it. 

So on to the VA part.  I filled a claim based on this illness when I left in the Air force in 2006.  The VA recognized it as Fever of Unknown Origin and gave me a rating of 0% in 2007.   Here is the actual write-up that they provided me in the response:

Service connection for fever unknown origin with splenomegaly has been established as directly related to military service.  A noncompensable evaluation is assigned from (Date), 2006.  A noncompensable evaluation is assigned in the absence of significantly disabling residuals.  An evaluation of 100 percent is assigned during the course of active disease.

So I was really stupid and didn’t file an appeal.  I was just frustrated and struggling to get on with my life outside the military.    I know I can’t appeal now since It’s been many years since that decision.  However, I have some questions on things I might be able do to:

1. They said in the decision that an evaluation of 100 percent is assigned during the course of active disease.  By this, I think they mean that I get 100 percent when I’m having an episode of the fevers.  I called the VA and asked how I go about getting this.  They were initially very confused and had to go a few supervisors up to answer my question.  They then told me I’d have to file a complete new claim every time.  This sounds crazy to me.  I have to wait till I have a fever for a while, file a new claim and wait for however long (a year?) to get back pay of 100 percent for that time?  Do I have any other options here? Could I now file a claim for all the times I’ve had periods of fever since the initial decision?
  2. The mental toll of this illness has been huge, causing me anxiety and depression.  I have documentation showing that these are connected to my fever of unknown origin.  Do you think it would be possible for me to file a new claim for the anxiety and depression, seeing as it was caused by a service connected illness?  The documentation I have for these secondary symptoms is only after I left the Air Force. 
  3. Whatever causes the fever of unknown origin has gotten worse since the decision.  It now causes me constant severe fatigue, even between episodes of fever.  Also, the episodes of fever come more often. I’m wondering if I could ask the VA to re-evaluate the rating based on this information.  It’s difficult to maintain a job when I'm always tired and have to take time off several times a year for high fevers. 

I’m re-visiting my VA options here as this illness has a huge financial and emotional impact on my life and I’m hoping they would consider assisting. 

Sorry for the long first post.  Just feeling out my options here.  I greatly appreciate any and all advice.  

Thanks,

-C

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

You mentioned the "0" SC  % is "with splenomegaly."

BVA decision shows what the VA apparently is looking for to determine a ratable level:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp13/files2/1314986.txt

The decision is a denial , but does state this point:

"If the schedular rating criteria do not reasonably describe a veteran's level of disability and symptomatology, a determination must be made as to whether an exceptional disability picture includes other related factors, such as marked interference with employment and frequent periods of hospitalization. Id. At 116."

Were your hospitalizations after the VA original "0" SC decision?

Do you get current treatment for the splenomegaly and has that been a chronic diagnosis?

This older BVA decision shows how they rate splenomegaly but the veteran had other factors they considered in the rating of it.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp92/files1/9204903.txt

There are many caused for this condition:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/enlarged-spleen/symptoms-causes/dxc-20214722

Do you have any liver disorder that might be causing the splenomegaly?

Berta,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I read the VA decisions that you provided.  Unfortunately, I don't think splenomegaly will help me get a better rating.  The splenomegaly is mild and has not gotten better or worse since it first appeared in 2001.  It is not severe enough itself to cause any negative effects. During my many workups for FUO no cause for the splenomegaly was identified.  Many causes were investigated, including those in your post.  

I have not been hospitalized since 2006 and the VA was aware of all my hospitalizations in it's decision.  I haven't been hospitalized in recent years not because I've gotten better but because doctors believe there is simply no more testing that can be done.  After this many years and medical workups, it's unlikely that I have any sort of infectious disease or cancer.   The best guess that doctors have is that it's some sort of obscure inflammatory disorder which may not yet be identified.  During episodes of fever, I'm simply told to rest until they subside.  

-C