VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Claim assistance

Rate this question

2W1_Socal

Question

Hello, It has been a long time since I initially filed my claim back in 00 and don't remember it being this complex as I have read. Or maybe I am reading too much into it lol

Currently, @20% due to Invertebral disc syndrome (discectomy) Service connected

Looking to increase my rating due to a recent Spinal Fusion due to my rated condition and complications that arose during my surgery that was due to initial surgery while I was on active duty. 

I started my claim and now not sure how to proceed. 

1. Can I file for an increase on my own? I have doctors report from the surgery along with the epidurals and other treatments I received prior to my surgery.

2. Do I need the help of a VSO to submit my claim? (I filed my first claim on my own) 

3. I would also like to open additional cases for the pain in my legs due to my back pain. Never knew could have filed for this. the pain sucks and is only getting worse

4. Do I need an IMO, or is this not needed since i already have service connected injury on file?

Thanks in Advance for your help!!

Good to know thanks for the info. Probably going to go this route for my increase and go another route for my secondary claims. Wish it wasn't this difficult and it was much easier for us to submit our claims. 

Filed my claim online uploaded all documents for my condition and received a call back the next day for my CP exam. Very surprised, I was called so quickly. 

• HadIt.com Elder

filing on e benefits is eazy and all veterans that have computers should file their claims electronically.

easy to upload things and submit any evidence, they usually let you know they got it..sure is better than having to buy those return receipts at the P.O.

I filed my last two claims on e benefits and it was so much better and faster.

Had my C&P Exam... took all my paperwork with me.  the assistant who was taking the notes prior to being seen by the doctor only looked at the first 2 pages out of 3 years worth of progress reports and surgery report. The doctor was ok, she glanced over the paperwork, ended up asking me all the questions about why I was there and symptoms. Seemed to work in my favor as my symptoms were flaring up and they could see I was in a lot of pain.

My major rant is with the company/contractor who scheduled my appointments. They left me a voicemail with all the instructions. (not very clear) and never sent me any paperwork. At each appointment, I was asked for paperwork and had to explain to them I never got them and ended up wasting a lot of time and missed work due to them not being very clear. Ended up missing an appointment, but went in the next day as I though I would be able to go as they explained. WRONG!  

Called and they said the if you miss an appointment they CAN NOT reschedule and they have to submit my file as is. Is this true? was for Xrays? (I have X-Rays and MRI images all on disc from my primary doctor) So I am not concerned.

Edited by 2W1_Socal

Little update. The claim was closed and checked online. I have a combined rating of 60% now. Was previously at 20%. 

- Waiting for the decision letter to come in and see if I was approved for 3 months of total disability. Was on bed rest after my surgery. Now to start on my other claims. Thanks for all the great info provided here on the site.