VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Afraid of Retirement

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hi everyone, 

Since it's been a while since my last post, I'll give a quick rundown of my situation. I'm currently 80% SC for PTSD(70%) and a bi-lateral knee condition(10%), but receive 100% based on Individual Unemployability. In all the documents I've ever received, it states that my ratings are temporary due to a likelihood of improving. I believe this mainly refers to the PTSD diagnosis. While I would like nothing more than total recovery, I have travelled down all the treatment avenues and nothing has resolved me thus far :(

I continue to think about retirement age and how I should prepare myself to survive. I do not work, so the only income I receive comes from the VA. Since my benefits can be diminished/reduced at any time, I worry about the future. I looked into options, specifically an IRA, but from what I gather, I'm not even allowed to contribute to one. So while my current compensation is enough to live on, I have nothing going towards retirement. It's one of the many worries I deal with daily. It worries me so much that the thought of suicide being my retirement plan doesn't sound too far off. 

I'm hoping for someone with experience in this area can give me some ideas. I will throw out there there I do have a savings account, but the interest rates are very low, and it's accessible to me, which doesn't make me feel any more secure because I can withdraw funds at any time if needed.

I appreciate you all.

LCpl

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Have you applied for SSDI- Social Security Disability Insurance?

I think one has had to work up to 5 years before they apply ,and earn,in their lifetime,  10 SSA work credits,  but their web site would have the info you need

and the award from the VA would help with getting SSDI...hopefully.

If you are eligible make sure they have all your Military times info because your military pay is used towards your work credits.

http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/social-security-disability-insurance/how-to-qualify

A veteran can receive SSDI and VA Comp with no offset.

And they can also estimate somewhere at the main SSA web site how much you can expect to receive if not on SSDI ,but when you are old enough for regular retirement,based on your SSA earnings.

Wouldn't  it be nice if the VA would advise every vet who gets a TDIU award, to apply for SSDI? But they dont.:wacko: They dont want us to know anything.

I don't know how long you have been receiving VA comp but at some point, it might be worth your while to get a Vocational expert or independent medical opinion,based on all of your medical records, that could support a P & T rating.

It might be costly but it also might be a good investment.

Most vets often receive SSDI before applying for compensation and if the SSA awards SSDI solely for their SC conditions ( SSA is faster than VA) , they can use that award as excellent evidence of VA Total Disability or TDIU.

Also if you apply for VA Voc Rehab and Voc Rehab finds Voc rehab unfeasible solely due to your SCs, I would think that would help support a request for a Permanent and Total status.

A statement from Voc Rehab that their program is unfesasible due to the spevcific veteran's disabilities as well as a SSDI award solely for SCs are Golden pieces of evidence to support a TDIU or 100% rating.

Edited by Berta

Being afraid of retirement is a valid concern.  Probaby worse than the things you mentioned is the cost of inflation and increasing medical care costs.    If you are not working and can not work due to SC conditions you should consider seeking tdiu.  

You see, we seniors/vets got "0" colas for 3 of the previous administrations 8 years.  Last year we got .3% which is close enough to zero that it rounds down to zero.  All this, while our costs went up, especia;;y with things like our medicare part b premiums, which went up about 20%.  I dont know how they can tell us, "Gee your insurance is going up20%, but there is no inflation, so you actual net pay goes down.  Its talking from both sides of your mouth.

1 hour ago, Berta said:

Have you applied for SSDI- Social Security Disability Insurance?

I think one has had to work up to 5 years before they apply ,and earn,in their lifetime,  10 SSA work credits,  but their web site would have the info you need

and the award from the VA would help with getting SSDI...hopefully.

If you are eligible make sure they have all your Military times info because your military pay is used towards your work credits.

http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/social-security-disability-insurance/how-to-qualify

A veteran can receive SSDI and VA Comp with no offset.

And they can also estimate somewhere at the main SSA web site how much you can expect to receive if not on SSDI ,but when you are old enough for regular retirement,based on your SSA earnings.

Wouldn't  it be nice if the VA would advise every vet who gets a TDIU award, to apply for SSDI? But they dont.:wacko: They dont want us to know anything.

I don't know how long you have been receiving VA comp but at some point, it might be worth your while to get a Vocational expert or independent medical opinion,based on all of your medical records, that could support a P & T rating.

It might be costly but it also might be a good investment.

Most vets often receive SSDI before applying for compensation and if the SSA awards SSDI solely for their SC conditions ( SSA is faster than VA) , they can use that award as excellent evidence of VA Total Disability or TDIU.

Also if you apply for VA Voc Rehab and Voc Rehab finds Voc rehab unfeasible solely due to your SCs, I would think that would help support a request for a Permanent and Total status.

A statement from Voc Rehab that their program is unfesasible due to the spevcific veteran's disabilities as well as a SSDI award solely for SCs are Golden pieces of evidence to support a TDIU or 100% rating.

Thanks for the reply, Berta. I have not worked since I was discharged in 2008. My time served was 2 years. Since then, I have been treated for mental health periodically with little to no success. From 2011-2016, I completed a college degree through Voc Rehab (Ch. 31). After graduating, things got worse, likely from constant thought and pressure to gain employment from the VA. I barely made it through a job interview via Skype shortly after graduating. I have held my temporary 100% rating for around 6 years or so. I long for a normal life, working a normal job, but my anxiety when put under pressure is extreme. I am considering things like exploring my options as far as a permanent rating that would be protected from being yanked at any time. I believe this would lift a huge burden off my shoulders and allow me to at least function in society somewhat normally. Just not sure which avenue to explore. I applied for SSD shortly after being discharged, but got denied and discontinued pursuit.