VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA average waiting time

Rate this question

hume0351

Question

I received a letter from the BVA saying they had my appeal and that I have a docket number. That was September 7, 2016. They said the average wait time is 270 days. I was just wondering how accurate this waiting period is. My docket number is 14-38003. Is there any place where I can actually keep track of how much longer before my docket comes up?

• HadIt.com Elder

It all depends on the type of hearing. The docket  number is issued  when yhe BVA receives the appeal.  If you selected a video conference it is faster but I heard of a 4 year wait for some appeals.

Had my attorney tell me that he talked to a VLJ on another case and was informed the BVA are working on October 2013 docket numbers. Even called the BVA myself and confirmed. So I'm looking at least another year. Anyone just getting certified with the BVA get ready for a long wait and it's getting lo get every year.

It may help you to read the chairman's report:

https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp

If you are over 75, terminally ill, or homeless or about to become homeless, you should be able to get an "advance on the docket", but your attorney should know that.  Your attorney may not know, however, how dire your situation is.  

I have a 2012 Docket number at BVA and its "With BVA judge".  

The degree of relief is directly related to how long it takes.  So, if you have been waiting since 2013, the good news is you are due for a large retro check, when and if it comes.  Its also good news to know that, according to the BVA chairmans report, only about 10% of Veterans represented by an attorney at BVA are denied.  Of course, some of those 10% denied at the BVA level can/do go on to win at the CAVC or sometimes the Federal Circuit.  

My best suggestion is to not watch the paint dry.  Get yourself a hobby, involve yourself with granchildren, become best friends with your wife, or go fishing.  Anything productive.  

If all else fails, study up on your own case and help other Vets with a similar problem by answering their questions.  If you work diligently at helping someone else, then your problems often resolve themselves, or at least are not as painful.  

Edited by broncovet

43 minutes ago, broncovet said:

It may help you to read the chairman's report:

https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp

If you are over 75, terminally ill, or homeless or about to become homeless, you should be able to get an "advance on the docket", but your attorney should know that.  Your attorney may not know, however, how dire your situation is.  

I have a 2012 Docket number at BVA and its "With BVA judge".  

The degree of relief is directly related to how long it takes.  So, if you have been waiting since 2013, the good news is you are due for a large retro check, when and if it comes.  Its also good news to know that, according to the BVA chairmans report, only about 10% of Veterans represented by an attorney at BVA are denied.  Of course, some of those 10% denied at the BVA level can/do go on to win at the CAVC or sometimes the Federal Circuit.  

My best suggestion is to not watch the paint dry.  Get yourself a hobby, involve yourself with granchildren, become best friends with your wife, or go fishing.  Anything productive.  

If all else fails, study up on your own case and help other Vets with a similar problem by answering their questions.  If you work diligently at helping someone else, then your problems often resolve themselves, or at least are not as painful.  

Not sure I was informed over the phone that Hardship cases will be changing requirements as far as showing finacial needs, IE eviction notices. Just making people aware... not sure on the details