VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD- due to MST

Rate this question

Markg623

Question

Hi,

i am new to this so please excuse me if I ramble a bit. 

I have applied for disability with the VA in January of 2017. I am applying for PTSD - MST  depression and anxiety secondary to ptsd also hypertension secondary to ptsd. I also have a claim for bilateral knee problems from a misdiagnosed knee problem from boot camp. I am frustrated by the whole process, but I guess I can only blame myself. The knee injury occurred in 1979 and the MST from 1980-82. I never knew I could get help for my knee years ago. I assumed that you had to retire from the service to use the VA. I am seeing a therapist with the VA and a psychiatrist with the VA. My bp has been out of control for years last visit to the va, my pc had to give me 2 nitroglycerin tablets under my tongue to get my bp down. It was 215/120. They have changed my meds so now it is getting closer to normal range. I am afraid they will say my bp is fine and deny that part of the claim. I have had a c&p for my ptsd with an outside contractor and he said he believes I have ptsd. On my healthy vets my doctors notes say ptsd (r o) mdd anxiety depression. Have a c&p tomorrow for my knees. I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any idea when I will hear from them if it is approved and should I get a VSO to look at my case

thank you

Edited by Markg623

Welcome to hadit.  According to Attorney who represents Veterans, no, the VA can not reduce your or deny you because the meds help.  

When I get my hearing test, they test the ears UNAIDED, not "with hearing aids", and Im rated for hearing loss by unaided ears, even tho VA supplies my hearing aids.  

However, dont kid yourself.  VA tries every shennagan in the world to try to deny you.  

Here is what Chris Attig says:

https://www.veteranslawblog.org/va-disability-claim-medication-reduce-va-ratings/

In part, he explains:

By law, when determining the percentage for your rating the VA can only consider the criteria contained in the Diagnostic Code for the given disability – – to do otherwise is error.

Unless the effects of medications are specifically included in the impairment rating criteria for your condition, the VA is NOT allowed to consider whether a particular medication moderates a Veteran’s condition in determining the degree of disability.

It’s that simple.

@Markg623

Welcome to Hadit. Glad you found it. I'm in a slightly similar boat...just yesterday I had an eval with an outside contractor.for PTSD due to MST. He did tell me that I do have PTSD.  That was basically it.

I hope and pray you get yours! I'm a few years younger, my MST took place in the fall of '94.  Memories were suppressed until this past January.

All the best to you, Mark.

Andyman

12 hours ago, tylerb333 said:

always have a VSO, don't leave home without one.

Tready lightly there...some are in if for themselves. But that was just my experience.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:56 AM, Andyman73 said:

Tready lightly there...some are in if for themselves. But that was just my experience.

you're probably right.  where humans are concerned there can be self-interest.  

On 5/19/2017 at 4:58 PM, tylerb333 said:

you're probably right.  where humans are concerned there can be self-interest.  

Self interest and interest in the hand that feeds it.

Nearly 2 years ago I had DAV as my VSO of record. They told the VA to deny my claims, and in fact sent me a letter on official VA letterhead stating they recommend the VA deny my claims.  Now here is the kicker, they had not seen the results of the C&P exams. They hadn't even made it to the VARO.  I called the benefits counselor at my VAMC, he told me that the exam results hadn't been sent to the VARO by the date of the letter from the DAV!!! Their letter was dated 12/15/15, and the exam results weren't sent out till 12/21/15. 

It took nearly a year, 4-5 complaints via IRIS and 2 emails to the Sec. of VA before they were finally removed from record.