VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asthma Or Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

slowhand197

Question

Just a note to all on this site you have helped me go from 40% to 90% because of what I learned here I can not thank you all enough.

I put in a claim for sleep apnea and asthma the asthma was approved at 30% the sleep apnea was denied. If I file an NOD and get sleep apnea SC rating (50% I am on a bipac machine) will that reduce my asthma as they are the same respritory system I think or will they add it to the asthma rating. Any info would be appreciated

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Slowhand197,

The first thing you should do is submit your NOD and ask for a De Novo review.

Is there anything in your active duty medical records indicating sleep apnea? If there is be sure to highlight this information when you perfect the appeal.

The second thing you should do is go to your doctor and request a NEXUS statement. That is ask your doctor to write a statement indicating that the sleep apnea is secondary to the Asthma. ( If the doctor doesn't feel this way, I am not sure how you would get it service connected. ) Once you get this letter perfect your appeal and get the new evidence into the VA regional office.

Title 38 reads:

The Respiratory System

§ 4.96 Special provisions regarding evaluation of respiratory conditions.

(a) Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation. However, in cases protected by the provisions of Pub. L. 90–493, the graduated ratings of 50 and 30 percent for inactive tuberculosis will not be elevated.

Asthma and sleep apnea would likely be rated together as one medical issue. If the apnea is granted service connection at 50% then it is likely that the rating would read: 6847 Sleep apnea with asthma 50%. This is because the VA is obligated to grant the veteran the higher of two awards.It is also possible for the rating to be elevated to 100% depending on the severity of the two conditions.

Here is the va form for nexus statements used by va doctors, (it is not really necessary)

hope this answers your quetions

Thanks Rick, I kind of figured that was the case but now I know what the deal is. When I first put in my claim my regular doctor said the apnea was caused by weight gain because of my orthopedic problems but did not explain his diagnosis well enough for the VA. But on the C&P the VA doctor avoided the apnea subject altogether(he was a real piece of work). I just have to figure out if its worth going through an NOD for 20% and open the bag of worms again.

Again thanks you guys are great.

Bob

Are your orthopedic problems service connected? If the are then you can submit the claim as secondary. I have Asthma and COPD, I also have a serious weight problems mainly because of being on steroids for 2-3 years. It is possible the asthma or the asthma medications also contributed to the weight gain. Talk to your doctor or do a goggle search "asthma and weight gain" might be surprised what you find. You could also ask another doctor what they think about the sleep apnea's relation to asthma, I never take the word of one doctor....

Best of luck....

I have 40%ddd 30%asthma 10,20,10 hips knee 30% depression 10% Tinnunitus 0% HEARING All service connected or secondary. Most days its a project to get out of bed but I have to work full time for the health insurance for my wife she has MS. I just hope they don't reduce me if I NOD the apnea. Thanks for the advise I never thought of looking for the asthma weight gain tie in. It never fails I always learn something here. If there is ever anything I can do for you guys let me know :P

Slowhand197,

a new thought. (seems like we have a lot in common) I am rated 60% for DDD. When you think about it this condition can contribute to a weight gain as well. Because DDD causes a lot of pain and limitation of motion, who wants to exercise when you hurt all the time. I don't know maybe I'm pushing it a little, but it doesn't hurt to consider all possbilities.....

Rick,

That is what me doctor put down that I could not exercise so I gained weight. I think I will go back to him and ask him to elabotrate on the connection for apnea weight gain and ashma. Thanks for the help

Bob

Just a note to all on this site you have helped me go from 40% to 90% because of what I learned here I can not thank you all enough.

I put in a claim for sleep apnea and asthma the asthma was approved at 30% the sleep apnea was denied. If I file an NOD and get sleep apnea SC rating (50% I am on a bipac machine) will that reduce my asthma as they are the same respritory system I think or will they add it to the asthma rating. Any info would be appreciated

First off, Slowhand, have you had a sleep study (Polysomnography) that diagnosed apnea? If not, you don't officially have apnea!

Secondly, were there any incidents on active duty that indicated sleep difficulties? Snoring, interrrupted breathing, etc. Buddy statements can support this even if you don't have an SMR that does.

This from Oregon State University Student Health Services:

"Airway temperature also influences onset of symptoms. Even a brief exposure to cold, dry air can produce bronchospasm. The effect can be reversed by breathing warm, humidified air. Asthmatics may experience sleep apnea, characterized by brief, repetitive cessation of breathing during sleep. Resulting from an upper airway disturbance, sleep apnea triggers asthma of the lower airways."

It appears that, if you do your homework, you just might get established as SC for both asthma and apnea!

Good luck,

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

I have sleep apnea and asthma and use a cpap machine. Sleep Apnea was diagnosed on my Medicare HMO and I make a small copay of 17 bucks a month for the machine.

My asthma is better now and a slight improvement in the strength of my breathing. This is just an opinion but I think if I lose some weight than my breathing will be better.

I use albuterol and another medicine I inhale for my breathing. As far as what the VA will say I have no clue. Since I am not service connected for either one the VA could care less about it.