VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is My Dad Eligible...?

Rate this question

Guest ekuhlman

Question

Guest ekuhlman

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I am really having difficulty finding the "right place". I've scoured the VA web pages and just get more confused each page I pull up.

Maybe someone here can help...

My Dad is 89 years old, lives by himself in the home he bought in the early 1950's, and is reasonably still self sufficient. He is a WWII vet and served in Europe during the war as an infantryman.

He has no income except for Social Security, which is very little. He has very little money in a savings account and has no other investments or income of any kind.

He has never applied for any VA benefits execpt for when he first got out of the Army and the GI bill helped him with getting some education for his profession.

He is currently taking a prescription to control Prostrate Cancer. The Doctor prescribing it is a family general practicioner (not a V.A. Doctor). It is 150 mg of Nilandron every day. The drug is very expensive and for a few years he qualified to having it subsidized by an idependent health care company. This company was bought out by another, and the program has stopped. We have been unable to find another that will help us with this medicine.

Does my DAD qualify for any V.A. prescription benefits that would cover at least part of the cost of this drug??

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Ed

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I am really having difficulty finding the "right place". I've scoured the VA web pages and just get more confused each page I pull up.

My Dad is  89 years old, lives by himself in the home he bought in the early 1950's, and is reasonably still self sufficient. He is a WWII vet and served in Europe during the war as an infantryman.

He has no income except for Social Security, which is very little. He has very little money in a savings account and has no other investments or income of any kind.

He has never applied for any VA benefits execpt for when he first got out of the Army and the GI bill helped him with getting some education for his profession.

He is currently taking a prescription to control Prostrate Cancer. The Doctor prescribing it is a family general practicioner (not a V.A. Doctor). It is 150 mg of Nilandron every day. The drug is very expensive and for a few years he qualified to having it subsidized by an idependent health care company. This company was bought out by another, and the program has stopped. We have been unable to find another that will help us with this medicine.

Does my DAD qualify for any V.A. prescription benefits that would cover at least part of the cost of this drug??

Ed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take him and a copy of his dd214 to the nearest VA and give it a try. He should be ok for benefits. Concerning the drug he takes for prostate cancer, I am nuo sure the drug is listed on the formulary.

Further on what istacy said. Take your father to the nearest VA Medical Center and take him to Eligability. Take with him, his yearly income info and a copy of his private Dr's medical records and any medical and/or Medicare information. They may even ask about checking and or savings info, but don't offer anything you are not asked for.

Once elligiblity is confirmed, you should be set up with a primary Dr. They may want you to choose not to see you private Dr so their is no comfusion in your treatment or you may choose to continue seeing your private Dr. at your expense and as long as they have your current medical records on file and up to date, They should honor your private Dr's perscriptions, as long as they have that particular medication in their Pharmacy.

Any problems you may have, Ask to see the Patient advocate or look up one of the service oganiztions, even if you do not belong to one and ask their help in geeting set up with the VA Medical System.

If you are accepter and you have to travel a good distance, I think it is over 50 mile, but not sure, he may be eligible for travel assistance.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Jim S

p.s It is upmost, that he have his DD 214 and Identification, ID or Drivers licence, berth certificate, medicare card, Social Security Card, with him, when seeing Eligibility.

• HadIt.com Elder

My Dad is  89 years old, lives by himself in the home he bought in the early 1950's, and is reasonably still self sufficient. He is a WWII vet and served in Europe during the war as an infantryman.

Ed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>