VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency Claim? Why It Takes So Long

Rate this question

KennyJ

Question

Maybe in a sort of way I can see why it takes so long for a claim to go through the system with all the evidence gathering and waiting delays. But a dependency claim? They have the marriage license and SSNs so why should this take 2 up to 4 months for this simple type of claim. it should be just a matter of checking records a week at the least . Wow everything in this system is ridiculous.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

All of my stuff was sent in with my original claim. Now I know it does not mean anything until you hit 30 percent. However, you would think it would be kept and made part of the record but no...... I had to resend all information in again. My has been pending since Feb 2004. Iris inquiries provide "claim for dependcy has been received. We are currently working the issuse. I have been married for 35 years to same gal so I don't know what in the hell they could be doing.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is no excuse its just not right and I am sure that you have been told don't sweat it you will get all your money.

Guest terrysturgis

I filed my dependant paperwork with my original claim. When I got to the 30% mark I had to do it again. It was explained it to me that my dependant situation could change (divorce, child birth, etc.). As we all know that the length of time it takes for a claim to go from start to finish, things could change.

The good news is that the process only took me a couple of weeks to get corrected. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, dependency issues are resolved with the Post-Determination Team at the regional offices. The dependency issues are worked together with the promuligation of the decsion from the rating activities and the actual C-file is needed to do this. So if a veteran has numerous issues pending at once and their C-file is bouncing from one team to another trying to get the other claims resolved, then it may take longer to get any dependents added to an award. For example, if a veteran has one claim that just finished with an award and was promuligated by the Post-Determination Team, but has an appeal pending, then more than likely before the dependents are added the C-file will go back to the Appeals Team to resolve the issue(s) on appeal first before any dependents may be added. Having said that, in the senario I just mentioned, sometimes the dependents are added before the C-file is sent back to the Appeals Team. Alot of it just depends on the individual claim and how complex the matters are. Sometimes the Post-Determination Teams do miss the dependency issues altogther, especially if a veteran had a 10% rating and then received an increase to say 50%.

Vike 17

Vike - what you said makes me understand why mine is still pending (since 2004) I have two appeals and two seperate issues in the fire so I guess it will be a while before they complete the dependent claim. Oh well I got nuthing but time on my hands. Thanks for the info