• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    magicgirl1022

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Hi all.  My name is Megan.  My husband was medically retired from the Navy and rated  100% service connected with the VA.  He passed at 36 years old few weeks back due to his illness he was service connected for.  He was also on ssdi when he passed and our kids and I were receiving dependant benefits.  I was also in the caregiver program with the VA as he was housebound due to seizures after his brain injury.  My main question is will our ssdi survivor benefits affect the total amount that is payed by the DIC?  I have many other questions but am still I'm the very early stages of dealing with his passing amd would greatly appreciate any tips or nudges in the right direction of making sure I understand all benefits available to myself and our 2 children.  Thank you in advance.
    • Update. I was granted SMC (k) with retro to 2012. Extra $ helps, but would prefer to not have this problem.
    • Thank you for visiting the eBenefits web portal. The eBenefits portal and NRD are not available now. We are making upgrades and expect to be ready for your login very soon. If you are experiencing a medical emergency or in need of immediate crisis counseling, please go to your nearest medical facility Emergency Room or call 911. If you are in need of immediate crisis counseling, please contact VA's suicide hotline at 1-800-273-TALK; counselors are available 24/7 to help. If you need to refill a prescription, please visitMy HealtheVet for VA prescriptions or Tricare Online for DoD prescriptions. If you need to manage your DS Logon username and password, please visit the DS Logon site. If you have questions about benefits, please call 1-800-827-1000. Telephones are answered Monday to Friday, 8AM to 9PM ET. If you need immediate assistance accessing the National Resource Directory for services and resources that support your recovery, rehabilitation and reintegration, please send email to infonrd.osd@mail.mil. Additional customer service is available online.   This is message I got. Funny thing, I was able to get on this AM, but down for upgrade, VA speak for the system ahs crashed and they do not have a @#$ZXXE clue
    • Yeah, it appears to be down.  Hopefully they are updating it! :D
    • Ok let's try this again. I should have added the DBQ along with letter the first time. Guess I was just excited. let me know if it will work the way it is.. Dr. Had C file, SMR civilian and VA medical records to review. this is to much money just to throw down range and hope for the best. Thanks.. DBQ  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KennyJ

Dependency Claim? Why It Takes So Long

6 posts in this topic

Maybe in a sort of way I can see why it takes so long for a claim to go through the system with all the evidence gathering and waiting delays. But a dependency claim? They have the marriage license and SSNs so why should this take 2 up to 4 months for this simple type of claim. it should be just a matter of checking records a week at the least . Wow everything in this system is ridiculous.

All of my stuff was sent in with my original claim. Now I know it does not mean anything until you hit 30 percent. However, you would think it would be kept and made part of the record but no...... I had to resend all information in again. My has been pending since Feb 2004. Iris inquiries provide "claim for dependcy has been received. We are currently working the issuse. I have been married for 35 years to same gal so I don't know what in the hell they could be doing.

There is no excuse its just not right and I am sure that you have been told don't sweat it you will get all your money.

I filed my dependant paperwork with my original claim. When I got to the 30% mark I had to do it again. It was explained it to me that my dependant situation could change (divorce, child birth, etc.). As we all know that the length of time it takes for a claim to go from start to finish, things could change.

The good news is that the process only took me a couple of weeks to get corrected. Terry Sturgis

Generally, dependency issues are resolved with the Post-Determination Team at the regional offices. The dependency issues are worked together with the promuligation of the decsion from the rating activities and the actual C-file is needed to do this. So if a veteran has numerous issues pending at once and their C-file is bouncing from one team to another trying to get the other claims resolved, then it may take longer to get any dependents added to an award. For example, if a veteran has one claim that just finished with an award and was promuligated by the Post-Determination Team, but has an appeal pending, then more than likely before the dependents are added the C-file will go back to the Appeals Team to resolve the issue(s) on appeal first before any dependents may be added. Having said that, in the senario I just mentioned, sometimes the dependents are added before the C-file is sent back to the Appeals Team. Alot of it just depends on the individual claim and how complex the matters are. Sometimes the Post-Determination Teams do miss the dependency issues altogther, especially if a veteran had a 10% rating and then received an increase to say 50%.

Vike 17

Vike - what you said makes me understand why mine is still pending (since 2004) I have two appeals and two seperate issues in the fire so I guess it will be a while before they complete the dependent claim. Oh well I got nuthing but time on my hands. Thanks for the info