VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I On The Right Track?

Rate this question

USACID

Question

Hello all. I am a 12 year army veteran investgator who started having problem in 11th year of army. Left army in May 1992 with an OTH. the army and the VA held hearings on my discharge and VA concluded my time was all HOnorable. THe DRB after a full hearing in front of a board of Officers upgraded to full Honorable and RE Code of 1 and discharge authority "Secretarial Authority". Have been seeing private doctor for depression since leaving army. I am being treated by VA Hospital for PTSD and they confirm the diagnosis. Dr. there told me I should file a claim. I did and am waiting. I included photos of the murder crime scenes I attended as precip stressors, as well as autopsies which I was required by my job to attend. I included some of the photos of crime scenes where parents had killed thier children which were the toughest for me, letter showing last salary and release from employement due to excessive time off due to meds, etc; provided names of deceased, letter from my wife, and provided all medical reocrds from private physicians including psychiatrist which has diagnosed me with major depression. When he saw me in 1992, he made a comment of the symtpoms appearing as PTSD but diagnosed with Major Depression. The Dr. at VA says clearly PTSD, both in psychiatry and primary care. I am on several meds per day, included all pharmacy records. I was recently told in a letter I should know something within 60 days. I do not work and essentially do not leave the house. I dont like to be around people and dont answer door. At one point for almost a year, I slept with a 9mm under pillow out of fear. I can tell you that the VA hospital here in Virginia has been very helpful to me and has taken great care of me. I was concerned that I would not be taken seriously but they took me as soon as I applied for help and have done quite a bit of counseling including the new EMDR. Can anyone tell me from thier experience if I am on the right track here? Am I sending the right stuff? Am I doing the right thing? Also do I need to tell the VA if I receive some type of inheritance? I am not destitute but have not worked in two years afer losing a 100k a year job due to the depression. Thank you for your help.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

no outside funds have nothing to do with your VA claim, they aren't relevant, it seems as if you have the verifiable stressors, the GAF scores, the relationships with family and friends will play a role in your award, the fact that you are unemployable is documented should help your rating of either 70% and the TDIU or a schedulat 100% rating in my acse I had the same evidence and in May 2005 they awarded me 50% I guess to see if I would take it and shut up, I filed the appeal the same week, I had more than 2 years worth of records showing GAF's in the 30-45 range and 2 annual statements from my treating VA shrink stating that he felt my PTSD left me totally and permanently disabled by the PTSD in April 2006 they awarded the 100% P&T award so yes you appear to be on the right track if your goal is total disability I hope for your sake you continue your mental health treatment it is my opinion that getting your VA award is not a cure, and my shrink helps me stay grounded and my meds adjusted

• HadIt.com Elder

USACID,

It sounds like you are on the right course so far. The only thing I would do if you haven't done so yet is fill out and send the VA Form 21-8940 to your regional office to ensure they address your unemploybility situation. Granted, if you're awarded 100% schedular the IU becomes a moot point: however, if you are rated at 70%, which also shows severe social and occupational impairement, and didn't send in the IU form, you just short changed yourself because they can't grant IU unless they receive a signed VA Form 21-8940 from the veteran. If they grant 70% for your mental disability and see your history of being unemployable due to your mental health, they may send you an IU application to fill out, but by not sending it in earlier you have lost an earlier effective date which in the end means lost money in benefits.

Hope this helps.

Vike 17

I am attaching the 21-8940- TDIU form-

as Vike says this will give you the EED=Earliest effective date of TDIU comp.

Question # 18- I would put yes if you intend to also file for SSA disability benefits-

you can receive both SSA and TDIU or any VA SC comp at same time.

Under # 25 Remarks I suggest you refer them to a separate page and tell them of how your SC meds affect you ability to work- like Do not take and drive, causes drowsiness, confusion, etc and anything else they should know-

I advise even to attach any current medical statement (copies) from any private docs too to show you have

PTSD diagnosis and it hinders your ability to work-

Sounds like very good evidenve already-

send the VA copies only- they lose stuff-

GOOD for you on the OTH-

excellent!

I am a little confused -is your claim based on PTSD from service or depression from service-

they rate all mental disabilities the same way but VA looks for consistent diagnosis-

Are these docs saying you have PTSD with depression as secondary to it?

They probably are-

I just hope the VA considers it that way too-

TDIU_form.pdf

USACID,I believe you are on the right track to get a rating,but if i was you i would have my private psychiatrist or psychologist to write a letter stating that you are unemployable and will never be gainful employable in the future because of your ptsd. GOOD LUCK!

mobie

Thank you all. The PTSD claim is from the dead bodies I saw in the army. Mainly from Fort Hood because there were so many. I looked at my dr. reports after reading this and I found the GAF scale at 70. Until my 11th year, I had immaculate evaluations, four AAM's and two ARCOM's for homicides I worked on. I had a breakdown with my spouse in the 12year which lead to discahrge. At that time I was a simultanoeus select for Warrant Officer and E-7. I am pleased that it was all reversed.

Berta, I dont understnad what you mean by "the VA rates all mental disabilities the same way" do you mean that regardless of the diagnosis if you were 20 percent for depression you would get the same for PTSD?

From the private doctor there is the diagnosis of major depression. The VA hospital diagnosed the PTSD in Richmond, VA and then told me I should file a claim. The private doctor lists the original symptoms back in 1992 as PTSD symptoms. The VA in Richmond has a 9 week EMDR clinic to address the PTSD which I am going to take. The problem as was listed here, the meds I am on, like Serroquel and Klonopin and Effexor make me tired and I dont want to drive. Richmond is about one hour from my home. Again thank you all and if there is any other advice you can give me please do.