VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor Letter/form 21-0781

Rate this question

rway

Question

I have not been asked to write a stressor letter yet for my PTSD claim. But, the DAV has given me a VA Form 21-0781 to fill out.

My questions concerning Form 21-0781:

1.When filling out the form--Desription of Incident-- Do I write in detail about the Incident or write a brief description and only go into detail in the stressor letter?

2.One question asks..Let us know if you experienced any of the following... Then it is followed by a list. Can I just say yes to the ones that apply, or should I go into detail, or again wait for detail in my stressor letter?

3. When filling out "Other Sources of Information" Do I put down the Name and Addresses of the individuals that I have statements from? (These individuals know nothing about my stressors, but know of the affects they have caused. I do not have any sources that can provide information about my stressors)

4. I was treated at a Alcohol Rehabilitation Center, should I include that? The reason I am asking is, I not only discussed items that are about my stressors, but also other information that could open a hole nother can of worms that will not help my claim. (That happened prior to service).

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

rway- where they ask for details- put in as many details as possible-give the best estimate of date possible-and exactly where the event happened.

The Joint Services Research people (formerly CURR) will check all available records to find proof of the events.

If in the meantime you can find a buddy from your unit or newspaper clippings or anything else whatsoever to help prove the stressor and then also be able to pinpoint your military duty to the same time and place-(maybe by personnel records)

this info will give the research people something to go on.

The Joint Services Research Center doesnt look for stressors. They can verify a stressor happened but only with detailed info as to time and place.

Example -I had a Tet vet-he claimed back injury during Tet due to chaos- a jeep hit him- and injured his back. Also he had no corpsman report-

there was much so much going on that day-they took in lots of fire-

this was at HUE in the thick of it all-

I mentioned I had used an old Vietnam magazine for an essay I did on Tet and there were some pictures of servicemen in it-one was injured and they were putting him on a makeshift flatboard.

It was him! The corpmen never got to him so he got off the flatboard and went back into the offensive.

He has no other etiology but for Tet that day to cause his back problems.

Dont know how he made out yet with his claim.

A stressor event can also be supported this way too-

some Nam vets took graphic pictures - never dreaming those pictures might give the VA an idea of why they have PTSD.

You need to do all you can to proof what happened--

happened-

rway- where they ask for details- put in as many details as possible-give the best estimate of date possible-and exactly where the event happened.

The Joint Services Research people (formerly CURR) will check all available records to find proof of the events.The more details you give, the faster that will go.

If in the meantime you can find a buddy from your unit or newspaper clippings or anything else whatsoever to help prove the stressor and then also be able to pinpoint your military duty to the same time and place-(maybe by personnel records)

this info will give the research people something to go on.

The Joint Services Research Center doesnt look for stressors. They can verify a stressor happened but only with detailed info as to time and place.

Example -I had a Tet vet-he claimed back injury during Tet due to chaos- a jeep hit him- and injured his back. Also he had no corpsman report-

there was much so much going on that day-they took in lots of fire-

this was at HUE in the thick of it all-

I mentioned I had used an old Vietnam magazine for an essay I did on Tet and there were some pictures of servicemen in it-one was injured and they were putting him on a makeshift flatboard.

It was him! The corpmen never got to him so he got off the flatboard and went back into the offensive.

He has no other etiology but for Tet that day to cause his back problems.

Dont know how he made out yet with his claim.

A stressor event can also be supported this way too-

some Nam vets took graphic pictures - never dreaming those pictures might give the VA an idea of why they have PTSD.

You need to do all you can to proof what happened--

happened-

make sure your contact information is updated in the VA system, VARO and VA Hospitals don't match up, you have to update both sides...the person on predetermination called me directly a few times for information