VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestos

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for all the help. Objee, I may be calling on you for a “Statement of Fact” if that OK? As far as the noise and do you remember anything about the asbestos on the alert? I am really not sure of what I’ll do but I need to keep all my options open. 3 years and still fighting! Thanks, bill

Thanks for all the help. Objee, I may be calling on you for a “Statement of Fact” if that OK? As far as the noise and do you remember anything about the asbestos on the alert? I am really not sure of what I’ll do but I need to keep all my options open. 3 years and still fighting! Thanks, bill

Sure, contact me at zedaassn@sbcglobal.net. Yeah, the ex-ALERT still had the pipe wrap and bulkhead insulation intact when I was on her. IF you were in any of the engineering rates I think the noise is a better bet than asbestos for HBP.

The VA couldn't figure out what paratus means, but they sure understand semper! :angry:

Ralph

Ralph, my memory is shot, gone, disappeared and no more. Do you remember where the sleeping quarters were to the engine room? I just went through a lot of test at the Palo Alto hospital and they asked if loud noises bothered bright lights, or me the noise gets me! bill

Ralph, my memory is shot, gone, disappeared and no more. Do you remember where the sleeping quarters were to the engine room? I just went through a lot of test at the Palo Alto hospital and they asked if loud noises bothered bright lights, or me the noise gets me! bill

Bill,

I just searched for the design drawings for the 125 footer ACTIVE class cutters with no joy. Try Fred's Place to see if you recognize any ALERT crew from the time you were aboard. If so, query them to see if that's where you berthed. I was XO on the EWING and have no memeory either (damn Prozac!) so we're screwed unless we can find some mentally competent ex-crew! Couldn't find designated berthing areas. But, WTH, we're Coasties and we don't give up until it's done! "You have to go out, etc. . . . "

Coordinate with me and we'll eventually get the answers needed!

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

"The only HBP I could find related to asbestos is pulmonary (highblood pressure within the heart itself). Here's the list of asbestos-related disease a leading asbestos specializing law firm offers:

"The diseases for which asbestos exposure is a generally accepted cause are mesothelioma, asbestosis, small airway fibrosis, scarring, pleural plaques, pleural fibrosis, pleural effusion, and many lung cancers. Diseases for which asbestos exposure is not at this time generally accepted as the cause, include cancers of the kidney, GI tract and ovary.

Each of these asbestos-related diseases can only be diagnosed through medical examinations and tests."

However, excessive noise can cause HBP. If you were a snipe doing the tappet dance for hours on end on ALERT and others, this could create an SC cause for you.

I was on EWING and all the buck and a quarters were fairly noisy. I also drove ALERT from SF to Petaluma (after she and I were both decomissioned) and if I recall correctly, she was not very quiet."

Asbestos related lung conditions can cause Pulmonary Hypertension. That is the pressure of the pulmonary arteries. There are other causes of PPH. Fen Fen was one. Pulmonary Hypertension is a Very serious condition and if not treated the person effected will die. No may die, but will die. This ugly devil is deadly and even with treatment the outlook is Grim.

Both the VA and SSD rate this as disabling. If anyone is diagnosed with it, Get treatment fast. The symptoms are fast heart beat, Irregular heart beat, pounding in the chest with minimal exertion, shortness of breath.