VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unit (ship) Combat Awards

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do the circumstances/awards below entitle me to be considered as a "Combat Veteran" under the VA regs? I have previously met the "VA "Feet on Ground" rule in the initial compensation claim, and received a 10% compensation award.

In the fall/winter of 1967, I served as part of the crew on an LST assigned as a support ship. We were a part of the "River Rats" or Mobile Riverene Force, TF117.

(Operated in the rivers and Delta of Vietnam) In 1968 I was transferred to another ship, an LSMR. This vessel provided "close in" fire support along the entire coast of Vietnam.

As a result, for the time that I was on the crew, the ships were awarded:

LST

CR 11-DEC-1967

NU 20-AUG-1967 16-JAN-1968

RG 24-AUG-1967 01-SEP-1967

13-NOV-1967 29-NOV-1967

26-DEC-1967 02-JAN-1968

VS 1 June 1967 - 29 January 1968

LSMR

NU 01-SEP-1968

VS 04-FEB-1968 21-MAR-1968 30-APR-1968

11-JUN-1968 18-JUL-1968

CR Combat Action Ribbon

NU Navy Unit Commendation

VS Vietnam Service Medal

RG Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation - Gallantry

Edited by Chuck75

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck75,

For VA purposes to concede a stressor for PTSD from a combat veteran, the Combat Action Ribbon meets this criteria. Is this what you are asking??

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes and no--

There is a clause somewhere in the regs that reduces the "burden of proof" for a "combat veteran". Also, since "stress" is a contributing factor in a medical condition's severity, PTSD may come into play before all is said and done.

Because of my past profession (Retired now) PTSD was a "don't go there" for many years -- one of the government forms that had to be filled out periodically had a line that asked "Are you now or have you ever consulted a (Mental health professional) or have you been treated by a (mental health professional).

Answering yes was an automatic "you no longer meet the qualifications for this or a similar position", and termination.

Chuck75,

For VA purposes to concede a stressor for PTSD from a combat veteran, the Combat Action Ribbon meets this criteria. Is this what you are asking??

Vike 17

I don`t really understand your question, but if you are considering a PTSD claim bottom line is you have to be in treatment and truely diagnosed by a doctor.

Cavman

Chuck-I dont understand the question either-

Since you already have the 10% for "boots on ground"-AO disability- then anything secondary to that should be claimed.

You asked something else that I have always wondered about-

If the ship got the CIB -does that necessarily mean the servicepersonnel onboard at time of the CIB event-got it too?

Do you have the CIB in your DD 214?

If not you could send the VA a DD 149-( I posted the form here before) and have your DD 214 corrected to show any awards that might not be on it-

Otherwise for PTSD nexus- the stressor would have to be proven.and current diagnosis and treatment records will be needed.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not familiar with Navy regs but I don't believe the awarding of a CAR to a boat counts the same as an individual CAR award. You might want to locate the citation for that award cuz it might hold important info that could meet the criteria. You might check over at the Riverine Assn site. http://www.mrfa.org/ Mike Harris has a lot of info, there.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

The Combat Action Ribbon, CAR is an INDIVIDUAL award and not awarded to UNITS, SHIPS, or anything else as a group. If the CAR is on your DD-214 it was awarded to you as an individual as were the other members of your Riverine Force which is listed as a qualifier in the DoD reg that covered the combat circumstances and what is needed to qualify for the individual award.

The CAR is a conceded STRESSOR and is a COMBAT AWARD.

See attached SECNAV Instruction for Combat Action Criteria.

Combat_Action_Ribbon_Criteria.doc