This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Sexsomnia
      Your profile indicates that your 100% SC? If your 100SC, an IU Claim would be "Moot." Could you list your SC's & ?%, would help? Semper Fi
    • Blood Clot in Knee
      Hi All, I have a 100% vet who recently had a bad fall and ended up in the emergency room in the town he lives in because VA hospital was to far to take him to.  In examining him they found the blood clot in his knee.  The doctor at the hospital is telling him that he can't go home and told him to call the VA and see if they can monitor him for the blood clot for his INR level, while he's at home.  He's going to have to have blood thinners for the rest of his life. They also want him to have a physical therapist to come to his house and give him physical therapy for about 3 to 6 weeks.  Right now he can't put in any pressure on that leg at all.  This is the same knee that he hurt in the service that keeps giving out on him.  Can he put in a claim for AA, through the VA and if so what can he expect to receive.  Thanks in advance for your replies.
    • My husband died in motorcycle accident
      No, not at all! I appreciate all your advice. Getting the police report, the autopsy report and the medical records have brought up a lot but it's just part of the process. You guys have helped me so much. Thank you! 
    • Sexsomnia
      Update: So diagnosis: Bipolar II, PTSD w/agoraphobia, sexsomnia (undiagnosis, but have had it forever til I found a name for it) Delayed Phase Sleep syndrome, OCD, Hypersomnia I am no longer having nitemares or jumping at everything! my docs say PTSD is curable! I still get anxious and have anxiety at times, and some minor panic attacks, but not as often or severe. But stress really really really screws me up, about 15 months ago I noticed I was getting worst, my bipolar I believe, but I was having strange episodes I can't even explain. I get fuzzy brained and my thoughts get disorganized, and I feel like I had a stroke and I cant get words out, and I stutter, and it frustrates me, and I lose my train or thought, or just a word, it like I see a basket ball in my mind and I dont know the word, then cant explain what it is either. Well I had my first FULL manic episdoe and the VA hospitalized me, diagnosis, physchosis. Then I was convulsing too. they just said its bipolar so I started checking on sexsomnia again, it seems there is more then one kind now, ones stemming from parasomnia, klien level syndrom, and epilepsy and temporal lobe epilepsy causes sleep issues, sex orgasim jerks, mood disturbances, obsessive behavior, anxiety, sturrters, and slurred speech post seizure, and these siezures can be so tiny, no one can se them, and they can just look like I stare for a couple seconds. SO DO I HAVE NONE of those mental health issues at the top of this post, they were all mimic, because seizures created mood disturbances, and thought disorganization, for sometimes days, this would mean I have NO mental health issue, and only nuorligical issue, and not even those sleep disorders! They mental healt put me on antidepressants, and I guess your not supposed to give those to someone with a seizre disorder   sorry for my spelling, its hard for me to type words now, ive been a brain mess for a month.
    • BVA Hearing
      12 years for a BVA hearing?  That is long, even for VA.  I have been fighting 14 years, but that includes 3 trips to the BVA. 
    • Exams during flare up?
      So they would most likely assign the minimum rating for pain? And not assign a rating for range of motion effected by the flare up? 
    • Exams during flare up?
      It must be considered as part of the claim, as it could effect the rating percentage, but rarely is this done in the first examination. At least from 6 exams I have had. You usually have to fight for the secondary issues caused by a service connected injury.   JMO.
    • Exams during flare up?
      A friend of mine who is a fellow Vet were talking about the C&P process. Like me he has a lot of inflammation issues in his shoulders. I told him how the examiner asked me if I was having a flare up when she examined my knee. We both became curious if that has any effect on a rating.   So if a veteran is experiencing a flare up during a C&P exam. Does the assigned rater take that into consideration and rate it at less of a percentage based on the restriction of movement due to a flare up? Or do they rate it as scheduled no matter what?    
    • My husband died in motorcycle accident
      Page1006 I never intended to up set you in any way and I know all this has to be upsetting to you to say the least. I hope you have sent in statements like this one? for evidence of record   your lay statements will be considered. I agree with you I believe your hubby did have some type of episode just right before his Accident..Proving it will be hard.
    • VSO
      JoebobCVSO Thanks for your service to vets and your honesty about working claims when you can get to them. Frankly, no matter how good you are you needs the Vet's evidence and lots of it to convince the VA. Although many characterize them as the enemy in some cases, I see them as hero's that are working theirs tales off to help Vet's. Have I had some negative experiences with exams, claims and interactions with the VA-yes. But, although my rater did not give me all that I expected, it's on me to provide more solid and compelling evidence. I learned early on, that no one is going to care more about a Vet's claims than themselves. So, it's very important for vets to learn as much as they can about the disability process and help you to help them. Recently, I've agreed to help some relatives with their claims due to what I have learned so far and my claims success. But, many of them just want to hand a pile of medical records and be told when to wait by the mail box for a big check? Before I submitted my claim, I do a great deal of work to put the package together. The head of a VA CP Section looked at my submission packages and remarked that they were the most organized that he had seen in 25 years. I told him that I did not want to leave much to chance and that I had some one once tell me that you have to make it easy for the rater to rate in your favor. For me, my VSO was not very good but I know that their are great one out there doing their best and helping Vets. I for one want to thank you for your incite and help via this post. Can you talk about the 3  to 7 big trends or  no/no-s that are hurting vets as they submit their claims packages right now? Goodspeed Rootbeer22

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

slowhand197

Asthma And Sleep Apnea

7 posts in this topic

I have a 30% SC rating for Asthma. I filed a claim for sleep apnea will they just give me 50% for apnea and 0 for Asthma as they are both one system or will they add them together??

I have a 30% SC rating for Asthma. I filed a claim for sleep apnea will they just give me 50% for apnea and 0 for Asthma as they are both one system or will they add them together??

You will receive one combined rating usually under the more serious condition.

Title 38:

§4.96 Special provisions regarding evaluation of respiratory conditions.

(a) Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation. However, in cases protected by the provisions of Pub. L. 90-493, the graduated ratings of 50 and 30 percent for inactive tuberculosis will not be elevated.

Thanks Rick,

now I have to figure if its worth it to NOD it. They said it was not from the service but thats not what I put in for. I put in for secondary service connection with a not to good acnexis letter from my doctor.

Title 38:

(a) Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation. However, in cases protected by the provisions of Pub. L. 90-493, the graduated ratings of 50 and 30 percent for inactive tuberculosis will not be elevated.

New to this forum - reading on Sleep Apnea. I cannot wrap my brain around exactly what the "disability" is. I mean, is it VA disability (who will pay me around $500 a month), or is it service disability, which means 50% of my retirement pay (I have 20 years) will be tax free.

Help me!

New to this forum - reading on Sleep Apnea. I cannot wrap my brain around exactly what the "disability" is. I mean, is it VA disability (who will pay me around $500 a month), or is it service disability, which means 50% of my retirement pay (I have 20 years) will be tax free.

Help me!

Rik62.

Unless you can prove a connection between your sleep apnea and one of the qualifying factors for

CRSC, you would not be entitled to tax-free CRSC.

If the your total disability using VA math equals 50 percent or more, you would be eligible for CRDP. If your disability is less than 50 percent, you would receive that percent of disability compensation from the VA, but a like amount would be "offset" from your military retirement pay.

Ron

Title 38:

From BVA Citation Nr: 0610557

"The RO found that 38 C.F.R. § 4.96 bars the assignment of a

separate rating for the asthma condition apart from the sleep

apnea condition. However, that provision states that ratings

under Diagnostic Codes 6600 through 6817 will not be combined

with each other. That provision also states that ratings

under Diagnostic Codes 6822 through 6847 will not be combined

with each other. The two specified ranges of diagnostic

codes are stated in the disjunctive and thus, the provision

does not automatically prohibit the assignment of a rating

under Diagnostic Codes 6600 through 6604 in addition to the

assignment of a rating under Diagnostic Codes 6822 through

6847."

From BVA Citation Nr: 0610557

"The RO found that 38 C.F.R. § 4.96 bars the assignment of a

separate rating for the asthma condition apart from the sleep

apnea condition. However, that provision states that ratings

under Diagnostic Codes 6600 through 6817 will not be combined

with each other. That provision also states that ratings

under Diagnostic Codes 6822 through 6847 will not be combined

with each other. The two specified ranges of diagnostic

codes are stated in the disjunctive and thus, the provision

does not automatically prohibit the assignment of a rating

under Diagnostic Codes 6600 through 6604 in addition to the

assignment of a rating under Diagnostic Codes 6822 through

6847."

Thanks we know this now, but this topic was started in Apr 2007....