• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Ad

• What is HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran ?

The how and why for in the VA process for filing a claim for service connected disability compensation. We combine the Knowledge, Skills, and abilities of Veterans to provide other Veterans the information and support they need dealing with the Veterans Affairs system.

What can I do here ?

Utilize our site and forum to research Veterans Affairs Disability Claims procedures benefits. Search for topics of interest. Join our active discussion forum and post questions to other veterans. All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Register for a free account.

How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
  • Advertisemnt

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

SMC S

Sign in to follow this  

Explore Questions

There are no popular questions to show right now

1. Exam

Asked by jfrei,

0 votes
    0 answers
  2. 0 votes
    0 answers
  3. 0 votes
    0 answers
  4. 0 votes
    0 answers

59 questions in this forum

1. How to proceed

0 votes
    4 answers
  2. 0 votes
    8 answers
  3. 0 votes
    47 answers
  4. SMC (S) Confused

0 votes
    30 answers
  5. SMC-S confusion - TDIU +

0 votes
    2 answers
  6. 0 votes
    27 answers
  7. 0 votes
    38 answers
  8. 0 votes
    13 answers
  9. Do I Qualify For Smc S?

0 votes
    12 answers
  10. 0 votes
    1 answer
  11. 0 votes
    8 answers
  12. I'm I Smc (S) Eligible

0 votes
    5 answers
  13. Smc (S) Help

0 votes
    4 answers
  14. Smc S Eligible?

0 votes
    8 answers
  15. Can I Get Smc S

0 votes
    6 answers
  16. Smc-S To 1994

0 votes
    16 answers
  17. 0 votes
    9 answers
  18. 0 votes
    5 answers
  19. 0 votes
    2 answers
Sign in to follow this  
  • Advertisemnt

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Our picks

• Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
    • Peggy toll free 1000 last week, told me that, my claim or case BVA Granted is at the RO waiting on someone to sign off ,She said your in step 5 going into step 6 . That's good, right.?
        • Thanks
      • 7 replies
    • I took a look at your documents and am trying to interpret what happened. A summary of what happened would have helped, but I hope I am interpreting your intentions correctly:

2003 asthma denied because they said you didn't have 'chronic' asthma diagnosis

2018 Asthma/COPD granted 30% effective Feb 2015 based on FEV-1 of 60% and inhalational anti-inflamatory medication.

"...granted SC for your asthma with COPD w/dypsnea because your STRs show you were diagnosed with asthma during your military service in 1995.

First, check the date of your 2018 award letter. If it is WITHIN one year, file a notice of disagreement about the effective date. 

If it is AFTER one year, that means your claim has became final. If you would like to try to get an earlier effective date, then CUE or new and material evidence are possible avenues. 

I assume your 2003 denial was due to not finding "chronic" or continued symptoms noted per 38 CFR 3.303(b). In 2013, the Federal Circuit court (Walker v. Shinseki) changed they way they use the term "chronic" and requires the VA to use 3.303(a) for anything not listed under 3.307 and 3.309. You probably had a nexus and benefit of the doubt on your side when you won SC.

It might be possible for you to CUE the effective date back to 2003 or earlier. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the restrictions of CUE. It has to be based on the evidence in the record and laws in effect at the time the decision was made. Avoid trying to argue on how they weighed a decision, but instead focus on the evidence/laws to prove they were not followed or the evidence was never considered. It's an uphill fight. I would start by recommending you look carefully at your service treatment records and locate every instance where you reported breathing issues, asthma diagnosis, or respiratory treatment (albuterol, steroids, etc...). CUE is not easy and it helps to do your homework before you file.

Another option would be to file for an increased rating, but to do that you would need to meet the criteria for 60%. If you don't meet criteria for a 60% rating, just ensure you still meet the criteria for 30% (using daily inhaled steroid inhalers is adequate) because they are likely to deny your request for increase. You could attempt to request an earlier effective date that way.

Does this help?
    • Thanks for that. So do you have a specific answer or experience with it bouncing between the two?
    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sandym3
    Newest Member
    Sandym3

• Ads

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines