VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap Machine

Rate this topic

Guest jstacy

I picked up my CPAP yesterday, had to go outside the VA to get it. I have full face mask and i Havent slept a wink with It. Does anyone have problems with their machines and how long does it take to get used to the thing??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

That's a good question. I have had one for two weeks and I feel like it smothers me. I usually use it an hour or two and have the full face mask. Maybe they need to back off on the pressure. They have me set at 12.

Good luck I am determined to keep working at it I will have to make a co pay each month fo about 15 bucks and another 80 dollars for the initial set up.

Pete53: I'm surprised with a panic disorder, that you can even wear the D$%! thing. My brother was put on one and he became to claustrophobic to wear one for any amount of time.

He had to opt for a surgical remedy, It seam to work for him, but it is not for everyone.

I don't have sleep apnea, but I do have hypoxia or low oxygen saturation when in REM sleep. It used to be that I needed O2 when I was sleeping and was hooked up with a O2 condenser and canula. Resently I have had worsening of my lung problems and now use O2 24/7 so when I'm not hooked up to my O2 condenser, I carry a tank and regulater to feed my canula. It irritates my sinusus to no end, I'm constantly either stopped up or my nose is constantly running.

I'm always hanging it up on something and it pulls on my nose, some days I wish I didn't wear glasses, because my nose hurts so bad. I can sympathise with you and your problems but my Dr and yours has probably told you with out it you are a good candidate for a stroke. I believe him, so I will put up with the discomfort. I hope you give it time, the body tend to surprixe you on how well it will compensate for noise and such.

Good luck, give it your best try, before throwing in the towel.

Jim S.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim S

I don't think I am going to make it as feeling smothered is a trigger for panic attack. I am surprised that I can tolerate it at all but the same thing happens every night. I start with the lower ramped up air flow for 20 minutes which also feels pretty strong and than when it goes to the pressure setting I usually end up ripping the mask off on the verge of an attack.

I picked up my CPAP yesterday, had to go outside the VA to get it. I have full face mask and i Havent slept a wink with It. Does anyone have problems with their machines and how long does it take to get used to the thing??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't remember how long it took me to get used to it, but I can't sleep without mine. I have a full beard, and still use the face mask. Sometimes I switch bacxk to the nasal pillows just for something different. I do use a nasal gel called AYR, or maybe ARY (not sure which spelling, I'll go get it in a few and let you know).

Guest Danny Penner

I have been on CPAP for about one and a half years and I would say it does take awhile to get used too but over time if you hang in there you will succeed! I would compare it to getting your first pair of dentures of which you thought you would never get used too. Good luck and hang in there it only gets better. :lol:

Dan