VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap Machine

Rate this topic

Guest jstacy

Not getting enough sleep can cause mental illnesses.

(Drive ya crazy)

And make any other medical condition much worse.

I got my C-PAP in 1999 after the VA doctor diagnosed the problem in 1984.

I don't try to sleep at night without it.

Yes children, the darn thing bothers me too. (Panic attacks)

But, my waking behavior is so different now that I will put up with even much more if I have to.

I don't scare babies anymore and that's something to be proud of.

sledge

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Not getting enough sleep can cause mental illnesses.

(Drive ya crazy)

And make any other medical condition much worse.

I got my C-PAP in 1999 after the VA doctor diagnosed the problem in 1984.

I don't try to sleep at night without it.

Yes children, the darn thing bothers me too. (Panic attacks)

But, my waking behavior is so different now that I will put up with even much more if I have to.

I don't scare babies anymore and that's something to be proud of.

sledge

;) I have been diagnosed with a sever case of sleep apnea and will have to use the C-Pap; any suggestions how to adjust to it?

I have been diagnosed with a sever case of sleep apnea and will have to use the C-Pap; any suggestions how to adjust to it?

GIVE IT TIME!

You may try wearing it around the house without it being hooked up to the machine, might help give you time to adjust to the feel of the mask and then not be so intrusive when you sleep.

It's kind of like moving next to a railroad track and having trains going by when you are trying to sleep. live their long enough and your system will get used to the noise and vibration in time.

I have to sleep with a canula, not as intrusive as a C-Pap, but it still took some getting used to. A couple of times I got it wrapped around my neck some how and thought someone wes trying to choke me. I'm just glad I sleep and live alone, I might have thought my bed partner was trying to kill me and did something I would have regretted later.

The alternative in not using the canula and the oxygen supplied by it, is more likely as not to lead to a stroke or worse, a heart attack. and a shortened life.

Jim S. ;)

That's a good question. I have had one for two weeks and I feel like it smothers me. I usually use it an hour or two and have the full face mask. Maybe they need to back off on the pressure. They have me set at 12.

Good luck I am determined to keep working at it I will have to make a co pay each month fo about 15 bucks and another 80 dollars for the initial set up.

Pete, if you are service connected, why should you have a co-pay and if you got it outside the VA then you should get it from VA and not have to pay anything. I have been using a c-pap for several years and I had a hard time getting use to it. I didn't want a full face mask as I didn't like something covering my nose and mouth as it felt like I was going to suffocate. Guess what! I ended up with a full face mask and I am use to it now..I awaken at nights and have to adjust it and it makes my nose sore. I really don't know how much it is helping me as I am very sleepy the next day and I feel compelled to take a nap in the afternoon and sometimes two....So just hang in there and don't give up...It is something like learning to walk eventually you will get the hang of it.

Have a good day!

Railroader

• 2 months later...

I too have just started using a CPAP. It is tough and I have got up to 5 hours with on before tearing it off. I use the Nose mask only w/humidifier. To be honest I find taking all my meds at bed time, as prescribed, helps me as I just basicly pass out:) With the Bp med, pain meds Tramadol and Flexeril, and a couple of Lithiums it seems to work pretty good. Course waking up is a reall bear.