VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap Machine

Rate this topic

Guest jstacy

• HadIt.com Elder

I am doing a lot better with the machine now and usually last till morning.

I notice that it has helped me breath better during the day also.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who have problems with the face mask, go back to the prosthetics department and get them to give you the nose pillows also. This may prevent you from getting the smothered feeling. Can't hurt to try and you may find that you may then be able to use the machine.

mssoup

Been there, done that.

"For those of you who have problems with the face mask, go back to the prosthetics department and get them to give you the nose pillows also."

'Properly fitted' nasal pillows are so comfortable I can't tell I'm using the CPAP.

Basically, all CPAP equipment should be cleaned very often.

(Ya gotta clean the pillows in 50% vinegar every day or they smell bad).

I eventually gravitated back to the nasal 'mask' and that's where I've been for the last 5 years.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

For me, the only bad thing about my CPAP is trying to sleep without it.

Going without it is a real bummer for me and that probably helps.

sledge

Guest VetWife Advocate
I picked up my CPAP yesterday, had to go outside the VA to get it. I have full face mask and i Havent slept a wink with It. Does anyone have problems with their machines and how long does it take to get used to the thing??

John,

Try watching TV during the day with it on. The pressure has to be right or else.... There are some sites, support, etc. Google...like Sleep apnea, Cpap support groups, etc. I bumped into one several months ago.

It is iin YOUR best interest if you work with getting to think of it as "your new best friend"!! We NOW know how SA is linked to cardiac failure/attacks, etc. NO BONES!!

Joe & I are both on one, he with O2 at night. We look like we are from out of space,b ut we breathe, sleep and feel a lot better the next day.

It will be hard, I can't do it when I have bad allergies or have a cold, sually they give you something for the allergies before you go to bed.

Brenda

Edited by VetWife Advocate

Pete53: I'm surprised with a panic disorder, that you can even wear the D$%! thing. My brother was put on one and he became to claustrophobic to wear one for any amount of time.

He had to opt for a surgical remedy, It seam to work for him, but it is not for everyone.

I don't have sleep apnea, but I do have hypoxia or low oxygen saturation when in REM sleep. It used to be that I needed O2 when I was sleeping and was hooked up with a O2 condenser and canula. Resently I have had worsening of my lung problems and now use O2 24/7 so when I'm not hooked up to my O2 condenser, I carry a tank and regulater to feed my canula. It irritates my sinusus to no end, I'm constantly either stopped up or my nose is constantly running.

I'm always hanging it up on something and it pulls on my nose, some days I wish I didn't wear glasses, because my nose hurts so bad. I can sympathise with you and your problems but my Dr and yours has probably told you with out it you are a good candidate for a stroke. I believe him, so I will put up with the discomfort. I hope you give it time, the body tend to surprixe you on how well it will compensate for noise and such.

Good luck, give it your best try, before throwing in the towel.

Jim S.

I was diagnosed with hypoxia 2 months ago and received a cpap machine and partial mask from the VA. I am stuggling with the mask but I am determined to make it work. TThe VA physician explained I should not drive until I have my sleep regulated. During the day, I get sleepy and have been stopped by the police on several occassions for erratic driving. I did not realize the danger involved with this condition until it was explained.

Jim lane

• HadIt.com Elder

I am doing better but it is still hard to make a full night of it. I wonder if I should go to VA and ask for one as mine was prescribed by my Medicare Doc?