VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Osteomyelitis Bone Infection

Rate this topic

I've had osteo in the ankle joint and foot for over 30 years. Intermittently it flairs up pretty bad and I go on a run of antibiotics ( Ceftin for the last few years), debreeding, etc.. The ortho docs have changed the antbiotics over the years as new ones come out that work better than the old ones - or depending on the bug that shows up during cultures. The Ceftin seems to be getting less and less effective. The next flair up the docs want me to go into the hospital for a debreed and scrape and to get the antibiotics by IV. Anybody else have the bug and what treatment do you use during flair ups??? Although I'm TDIU I only get 10% for the osteo.

Riverman

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on 'em all in the past year, I think...LOL

I'm on Amoxicillian (again) 500mg tid right now. The jaw is a different kind of bone though and IV antibiotics don't generally help with the osteo in that area. I am getting ready to do 6 weeks of hyperberic treatment and they seem to think that that will "cure" it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I've had osteo in the ankle joint and foot for over 30 years. Intermittently it flairs up pretty bad and I go on a run of antibiotics ( Ceftin for the last few years), debreeding, etc.. The ortho docs have changed the antbiotics over the years as new ones come out that work better than the old ones - or depending on the bug that shows up during cultures. The Ceftin seems to be getting less and less effective. The next flair up the docs want me to go into the hospital for a debreed and scrape and to get the antibiotics by IV. Anybody else have the bug and what treatment do you use during flair ups??? Although I'm TDIU I only get 10% for the osteo.

Riverman

Ask them to give you 1000 mg augmentin. That will clean out any bacteria that your body may have. Its like jump starting. you have to take it with a full stomach load.

The augmentin did absolutely nada for my osteo in my jaw.

It's a good thing that I've always been a big yogurt eater, because that's the only thing that has saved my stomach this past year..... ;)