VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Flu Shot,

Rate this topic

Guest Jim S.

B) Have you had your Flu shot yet? Did you come down with Flu like symptoms a couple of weeks later?

I've been gettomg my Flu shot every year on strong advice from my PCD and Lung Dr. due to the fact that I am in that high risk group who could have serious consequences should I get the Flu. Well this year I stepped up and got my Flue shot and now I've been practically bed ridden with Flu like symptoms and my PCDr says I can expect about another week of these symptoms and should I get a temperature or an increase in my symptoms, to not delay but to come back in.

I wonder sometimes if the Flu shot is any good for the current strain of flu being spread around that year.

I also wonder what damage this current episode is doing to my lungs. I feel like my lungs are going to burst during the coughing spells I have. I have had to sit in a chair to sleep and that isn't any goog on my legs and their poor circulation..

Anyway, I was just wondering how many of the members have had the misfortune of getting this bug that is going around?

Jim S. :blink:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I had the flu shot and a pneumominia shot this go around and I felt like the pneumonia one did a job on me. I also belong to the high risk group and feel that I cannot afford to miss getting my annual flu shot.

Good Luck and hope that you get to feeling better soon.

B) Have you had your Flu shot yet? Did you come down with Flu like symptoms a couple of weeks later?

I've been gettomg my Flu shot every year on strong advice from my PCD and Lung Dr. due to the fact that I am in that high risk group who could have serious consequences should I get the Flu. Well this year I stepped up and got my Flue shot and now I've been practically bed ridden with Flu like symptoms and my PCDr says I can expect about another week of these symptoms and should I get a temperature or an increase in my symptoms, to not delay but to come back in.

I wonder sometimes if the Flu shot is any good for the current strain of flu being spread around that year.

I also wonder what damage this current episode is doing to my lungs. I feel like my lungs are going to burst during the coughing spells I have. I have had to sit in a chair to sleep and that isn't any goog on my legs and their poor circulation..

Anyway, I was just wondering how many of the members have had the misfortune of getting this bug that is going around?

Jim S. :blink:

Have you been x- rayed for pneumonia? I came down with it this summer, it is a bear to deal with. I was bed ridden for two weeks with flu like symptoms, hard to breath, coughing,went to the doctor & x-rays showed pneumonia. Be careful & don't mess around, i would be willing to bet this is what you have, see a doctor.

Edited by arkansas

Guest allanopie

Hello Jim,

my records show i'm alergic to the flu vaccine. It's been some time since I had one, but remember I was very sick for a while.

I'm also in a high risk, but other than taking, "C" & B-12., i'm not sure what I can do about it. I'm fighting a cold right now.

The VA tried to charge me $20 for a bottle of vitimins recently, So I would advize keeping a close I on those statements.

Flu shots aren't exactly an exact science. In many cases people have developed flu symptoms FROM the flu shots themselves. Plus, Flu shots are far from a guarantee that you will not get the flu.....basically, this years flu shot is for LAST years strain of flu. Flu strain mutate every year and we cannot predict exactly what the flu will mutate into, so we give shots that may or may not protect from the flu AND may cause flu like symptoms.

As for what you experienced - You did not contract the flu in the traditiional sense from your flu shot. A flu vaccine is a dead flu virus that your body adapts to in order to better fight off a live virus. The down side is that your body can react to the dead virus as if it were real (not very likely though) and you can exhibit symptoms like a fever, chills, stuffy nose, coughing, etc even though you do not technically have the virus.

IMO, the shots aren't worth it unlses you have a immune disease, lung disease, or are generally much weaker then the average eprson due to age or some other factor. But different people have different opinions on the subject.