VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sah Grant And New C&p

Rate this question

Guest candomike

Question

Guest candomike

Howdy all: I applied for the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant which is 50K presently. I am rated a 100% with TD/IU/PT. 60 percent for my back, 40 percent for Fibromylagia and 30 percent for PTSD. So that Adds up to 83% rounded down to 80% and the TD/IU brings me to a 100%.

I went to my scheduled Comp and Pen and the following is the report from the exam of which I feel is contradicting in itself, but I would love your synopsis of what it equates to.

Report Xray

Comparison:10/01/2001

09/25/2005

Findings: AP and Lateral Views were obtained. There are Three images. Disk space narrowing at L3-L4 and L4-L5. There is mild retrolisthesis at both of these levels, on a degenerative level. Similiar findings were present on the previous examination can probably somewhat worsened. Although interval comparison is difficult because the disk spaces were not well visualized in the previous examination. Vertebral bodies are normal in heaight. Alignment is normal throughout the remainder of the lumbar spine. Facets are unremarkable. Sacrolliac joints are unremarkable.

Impression:

1. L3-4 and L4-5 Degenrative Disk Disease. There is mild retrolisthesis at both of these levels. Findings may have worsened since the previous examination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PE:

Thin white male who ambulates slowly with a walker, he is able to rise from a chair and climb on and off the exam table without assistance. No vertreral tenderness, mild lumbar paraspinal tenderness, no muscle spasm. Straight leg raise induces back pain at 5 degrees bilaterally? DTR's ++ and equal in both knees and ankles with clonus sensory: Difficult exam as it was not reproducible. Decreased muscle bulk in all extremeties, normal tone. Resistance testing lower extremeties 43.5/5 which is not compatable with his ability to walk and get on and off the exam table.

All ranges limited by back pain:

Flexion 5 out of 90 degrees

Extension 0 out of 30 degrees

Right Bending 5 out of 30 degrees

Left Bending 5 out of 30 degrees

Right Rotation 5 out of 30 degrees

Left Rotation 5 out of 30 degrees

Waddel Signs:

1. Superficial Skin tenderness NO

2. Nonanotomic pain or tenderness NO

3. Axial Loading pain Yes

4. Rotational Pain Yes

5. Distracted SLR Yes

6. Nonanotomic/Dermatomal sensorary change Yes

7. Giveway or breakaway weakness Yes

8. Exaggerated, non reproducable responses Yes

Functional ROM of the above joints is not significantly affected by pain, repetition, fatigue, weakness or incoordination. Since the flareup is not occuring today, I would have to resort to mere speculation to assess any loss of function during flare-ups.

Assessment: Lumbar Disk Disease with retrolisthesis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all the exam was about 10 minutes tops. The female Dr had to take off my Cowboy Boots. No clothes, pants shirts were taken off. I slowly climbed onto the exam table using my hands and anything that I could grab or hold on too, the same thing was done getting off. Except getting off, it took me longer to straighten up and to sit down. Both of my feet were shaking uncontrollably as well as spasms. My Severe Atrophy was not noted as my pants were on.

On the Waddel test of which is a test to see if you are faking back pain, she failed to note my fibromylagia, severe osteoporosis nor the fact that I had previously broken my shoulders three times falling down. I also mentioned I had bladder and bowel problems of which were not noted.

She also failed to mention that I have Intervertal Disk syndrome at L5-S1 with lumberization of S1 with Sciatica, of which can only be seen on a MRI which is in my records and I am recieving 60% disability for.

Doesn't the evidence speak for itself, even the Xray exam notes 2 more disks going and labels it DDD Degenerative Disk Disease, but I am recieving my 60% for Intervertable Disk Syndrome.

Ok folks, whats your honest opinion on this exam for a SAH Grant. Is it favorable or non favorable or they will haul me in for another C&P. Seems to me, my back is a lot worse yet Interveral Disk Syndrome tops off at 60 percent and don't know what DDD tops off at. Will they try and relabel my disability(s) and or change my ratings????

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest retvet512

No the evidence does not speak for itself!, unless you are granted loss of use of a leg, or are blind you can forget it. This is one benefit that is hard to get.