VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

RickyDee

Question

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Keep trying different combinations of masks and straps, including a chin strap to keep your mouth closed, if needed. I have found that the higher the air pressure, the tighter the straps need to be.

But stay with it.....it will change your life (and lengthen it)

dwilli12

:rolleyes: I have sleep apnea, as diagnosed by the VA in Birmingham. I had to submit a survey, to be reviewed by them to see if I had a problem. Two weeks later, I spent the night in the sleep study center where I wore all kinds of electrodes. Half-way thru the night, They switched me to a CPAP machine. It two weeks for the results to be returned, and then I was called in. They issued me a CPAP, and the mask that was needed for my situation. They have a bunch of different masks to cover the multitude of problems. The VA will preset the pressure you need to function. I can either sleep on my back, or side facing the machine. If there is a problem with any of the equipment, the VA will replace it.

My husband has sleep apnea, it was diagnosed 2 years ago. He uses the cpap machine.

His pulmonary doctor always said he got it because his weight, than He lost some pounds and they have to set the cpap to a higher level. We asked him again, maybe there was something else causing the apnea, and again He tried to find an excuse.

3 sleep studies, and His level were the same. We mentioned to the doctor that my husband while sleeping will tear the mask of his face.

Finally on the second aniversary appointment, the doctor said because my husband has ptsd and fibromalgya, these "maybe" factors contribuiting to the sleep apnea....

We are waiting for the fibromyalgia claim and the higher rating for ptsd. If my husband gets those claim, his dav rep. said He will submit for the third time the apnea claim, but this time as "secondary to".....

Its a long way, but we can not give up. I hope this can help....

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER........

Guest swells1

After reading the last post... I am hoping I am asking in the right place....

I recently went to a sleep study clinic at my wife's request after she said over the years I had stopped breathing many times while sleeping. I was diagnosed as sleep apnea requiring CPAP at level 5 (still not sure what that means). I was talking to friends that know much more about the VA system than I do and they say with my problems from PTSD "lack of sleep, attention problems, inability to cope with stress, and higher than average aggression/agitation" secondary to my experiences in Beirut 83... I should ask for SC disability for both PTSD and CPAP assisted night breathing. I am new to all of this and have no idea where to start. I went through the local DAV and 3 months later the VA says they never received anything on or about me from the DAV. Story of my life... I have never been seen at a VA Med Center for fear of them providing sub standard care like they provided to my father. So all of my medical care has been covered by my HMO from work.

How do I work up a case for PTSD with sleep apnea requiring CPAP for the VA? What kind of compensation can I expect? Is it worth the fight with the "SYSTEM" to get what I am told I deserve? Right now I have no disability although I am waiting on a result for my claim for a SC ankle fracture that eventually turned into arthritis and recently caused me to have ankle fusion surgery. Also how long can I expect to fight this fight?

Please help... Anyone???