VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Burning, Pins, And Needles Pain Top Left Thigh Anybody Have This?

Rate this topic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

TBird, I done mean to alarm you but how severe is the pain. It may be a sign of something else like a thrombosis.

Dont take any chances and get to the doc asap. Pay close attention if the leg starts to swell or starts to throb.

If you have a machine, check BP in the legs and then the arms and if there is a huge difference go to an ER.

J

Edited by jbasser

• In Memoriam

I have similar pins and needles in my feet. My feet are cold and numb. I have a wood fire stove, and I have put my feet up on the sides of the stove. The bottom of my slippers have actually melted without me knowing about it in time to get my feet off the stove. I go through a lot of slippers (plastic rubber soles). I have gotten 2 new pairs, for Christmas, so I will be good through the Winter. The heat seems to work harden the plastic, and the slippers wear out pretty quickly anyway from normal use (maybe abnormal use).

I am in the same boat with rentalguy when it comes to Gabapentin. I fall down all the time, with wobbly legs and limited control over the direction I am walking. Accidents are frequent.

The pain keeps me from going to sleep. My right legs jumps around giving me the feeling we are having an earth quake. I haven't been in an earth quake since leaving California (almost 4 years ago). Sleep meds put me out so I don't notice the leg jumping around.

I also notice that when I do wake in the mornings my feet are not painful for a while. This suggest to me that it is not meds causing the problem and that the pain could be related to my back condition (nerve impingements).

A woman, in California, suggested that I warm up my feet in hot water before putting on shoes or going to sleep. I have tried this, but you have to be careful, if your sensitivity to the heat is indifferent. I have burned my feet in hot water more than once.

Diclofenac seems to relieve the symptoms mostly, but it is a short term medication (mini-strokes). When you stop taking this medication, it takes a while to get use to the pain again which will be very strong after discontinuing it. This temporary relief can buy time; that is all it can do. Wisely used it can help to get over rough spots.

It would really be great if VA doctors would be honest, without fearing their job loss, when they making a diagnosis that could be helpful. Even a hint, from VA doctors, could be helpful in leading to self-treatment.

I have purchased an anti-gravity perfect chair, that seems to keep my body in line (in a regular chair I am squirming around constantly) while watching TV. The lumbar adjustable cushion seems to help eliminate some nerve impingement. This is when my neck gets worse in the trade off.

That is all I have been able to learn so far.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gabapentin also known as neurontin is an anti seizure medication. I also have a prescription for Oxycontin x 2 that I use before I go to bed. During the day I tough it out.