VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Side Effects With Medication

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Many who quit their meds have bad results far worse than the side affects. What meds did you stop? You should discuss with your Doc at least.

Pete

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
I didnt know that. I stopped taking all of mine so I can work, does that hurt my claim(s)?

Yes. If you aren't taking any meds, then you obviously don't have any problems (in their eyes). You also have to be careful, as Pete said. With certain meds, the withdrawals can actually kill you.

Many who quit their meds have bad results far worse than the side affects. What meds did you stop? You should discuss with your Doc at least.

Pete

I will post the names when I get home.

I stopped taking my meds regularly when my uncle (Nam Vet) passed away of an accidental overdose last year. He had just recently been prescribed a new med by his VA doc and within three days was gone. He complained of not feeling well on on a Saturday morning and died sometime between Saturday night/Monday morning when he was found.

Yes. If you aren't taking any meds, then you obviously don't have any problems (in their eyes). You also have to be careful, as Pete said. With certain meds, the withdrawals can actually kill you.

Its hard for me to function at work when Im taking even half the prescribed dosages. Ex: if I take a musle relaxer and hydrocodone before bed, I dont feel any less tired the next day. I feel bad up until around lunch time and even then Im still dizzy or groggy. I quit everything cold turkey back in September after I had an allergic reaction to the Lyrica that I was prescribed.

I know for sure one of the meds was Gabapentin, the other hydrocodone, the other Cariprosodol(sp) and the Lyrica(generic). Total around 9 pills a day. I may have taken that many a week and still felt crappy.

I stopped all the antidepressents when they messed with my sex drive. Paxil, I quit cold turkey and thought I was dying. Lexapro made me yawn a lot. The sleeping pills I have had scared me because I didnt wake up one time my child was calling me.

I just deal with the pain. Im almost to the point that if this claim goes down in flames because I wont take meds, I may just give up.

• HadIt.com Elder
Its hard for me to function at work when Im taking even half the prescribed dosages. Ex: if I take a musle relaxer and hydrocodone before bed, I dont feel any less tired the next day. I feel bad up until around lunch time and even then Im still dizzy or groggy. I quit everything cold turkey back in September after I had an allergic reaction to the Lyrica that I was prescribed.

I know for sure one of the meds was Gabapentin, the other hydrocodone, the other Cariprosodol(sp) and the Lyrica(generic). Total around 9 pills a day. I may have taken that many a week and still felt crappy.

I stopped all the antidepressents when they messed with my sex drive. Paxil, I quit cold turkey and thought I was dying. Lexapro made me yawn a lot. The sleeping pills I have had scared me because I didnt wake up one time my child was calling me.

I just deal with the pain. Im almost to the point that if this claim goes down in flames because I wont take meds, I may just give up.

I took the Gabapentin three times per day for 2 years and it did absolutely nothing for me. I also took Hydrocodone and finally setteled on the 10's. I also took Carisporodol which is generic for SOMA. This is a highly addictive muscle relaxer that does work but it will make you dizzier than a Va 800 operator.

You have to have serious spine issues for these meds. Dont stop taking them because of someones overdose, Just make sure you manage them correctly. This can be adversarial to a VA claim if you stop. It is called not following treatment plan and it shows willful adverse conduct.

J

Edited by jbasser