VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

Boomer1

Question

I am receiving 100% disability because of Prostate Cancer. I just had a C&P review Nov 2008, does my current disability percent continue until I receive a new C&P result, based on the C&P examine.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

We need a little more info. Did you have surgery? Did you get the pin implants? What was your last c&p for? Was it to determine residuals from surgery or treatment? How long have you been 100%?

We need a little more info. Did you have surgery? Did you get the pin implants? What was your last c&p for? Was it to determine residuals from surgery or treatment? How long have you been 100%?

Yes I had surgery, the C&P is to see what type of problems I am having. When the biopsy was done, the cancer went outside of the Prostate, currently my PSA is 0.1.

The C&P examiner asked about how many pads, how often I had to go, how often I had to get up at night. She said I has Stress Incontinence.

I applied for disability when I found out I had prostate, that was in Feb this year. I have been receiving 100% since Feb this year.

The VA pays you 100% for 6 months after your surgery or whatever you decide to do to get rid of the cancer. This has happened. After the 6 months there is a mandatory C&P examine, that just happened. The C&P examine or interview is to determine what the after effects are from the surgery. ie: number of pads used a day, how long before you have to go again, how often do you get up at night.

I received 10 months of 100% disability. I am waiting for the result from my C&P examine, after my surgery.

I received my last check on Nov 1, if I DON'T HEAR from the VA before Dec 1 about their decision on my C&P examine, will I get any disability check at all? and how much will it be?

If I hear from the VA, that letter will tell me my adjusted disability percent.

Boomer,

It sounds like they gave you a final disability rating on your prostate issue. When they ask you how many pads, how frequent urination day and night, etc. You should get a letter from va stating your precentage. This letter may take several weeks or more. Did you go to the va hospital records and ask for a copy of the c&p? You should do so immediately. It sounds like your cancer has escaped from the prostate. If so, you will be eligible for further treatment and disability rating.

In my case, the va sent me a letter that said they had believed I had reached maximum improvement and ordered me for the c&p. They continued me at the 100% level until they got the results of the final c&p and then lowered my rating. I didn't need to may anything back even though we went a little over the 6 months. Your PSA level of 0.1 should probably be less that 0.1 which is a normal psa after surgery/treatment for prostate cancer. If a doc has told you the all the cancer wasn't killed by your surgery and that you have say bladder cancer, the new cancer must be A result of your prostate cancer that spread. A doc must state that. Then you can get more treatment and probably a higher rating.

You have stress incontinence which is almost normal after surgery. Your new rating will be a result of howmany pads a day you use, how many times at night you get up, how many times you urinate a day. The disability is rated as a result of thje highest disability you suffer. See below for disability ratings. Go to urinary.

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#k

Also you are allowed an additional monthly award of $91.00 for loss of organ (prostate). This is called an smk.

Good luck

Thank You for all of the answers you have provided. The VA is a tough place to find out information, they certainly don't give veterans much help. Thanks for this forum, it's the best!!!