VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oh-christmas Bonus To Some Ohio Vets?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I am a Warrior Transition Battalion Spouse of an OH Soldier. About the bonus I spoke to the reporter who wrote the article, William Hershey. He called me after I e-mailed him about our situation & our interest in this bonus. He gave me a number to call about the bonus for questions & how you can help get a fire lit under those who are dragging their feet. The number for OH Soldiers to call is 614-644-7718. As for the distrabution of money it is as follows $1000 for those who served in Iraq & Afghanastan, $500 for those serving OIF & OEF in other areas. Families of those killed in action is $5000. One of the hold ups is Gov Strickland so you should write & call his office as I am doing. Remind him he has voiced about helping military families so he needs to get off his laurels & get this done. After all we military families don't live in mansions like he does or have big banks accounts like him. Which is paid for with our tax dollars! So lets get this done for the kids of these Vets before Christmas is here & all the stores & grocries are closed.

I also wanted to say yes I do believe our Govt should do more for all Vets. I also know the unequal treatment of Soldiers of OIF & OEF according to where you were based in relation to Kuwait & Iraq. I am talking about the difference of benefits based on your location. My husband was in Kuwait but he also went into Iraq & a few of those times he was in Baghdad. However that doesn't seem to matter to the powers that be. He was injured & worked hard in support of the same war as those based inside Iraq. We get the shaft on a lot of stuff. Since his return in May to the States we have had expenses out of our own pockets at least $4300. This was so we could go be with him for surgery & help with follow up care for 2 weeks. It also includes his flight home for Convalescent leave & several other things the Army won't cover. It all stems from your base location for the war. My hubby is OHARNG but in a WTB in GA for wounded soldiers for now. His civilian employer closed down so if they get him well enough he doesn't have a job to come back to. So all this money we are spending we could be saving to live off of until that would all get worked out. I know your thinking geeze this is about the Christmas Bonus for OH Vets. I just wanted to point out all Vets are not treated equal even those that are OIF & OEF in comparison to each other. There is far too much unfair treatment of the soldiers,sailors,& airmen who have served their country without question or without thought to their own safety in all wars. This also includes that it naturally spills over to their families who sacrifice lots also. I know in our case this money is needed desperatly since I can't work for medical reasons & I don't recieve any money from any agency. We are down about $1200 per month in Army pay since May. We have also late last year been victims of identity theft. So our finances are way out of control because of being unable to recover most of our losses. Plus all we have been out due to my husbands injuries. Now with Christmas upon us & our sons birthday tomorrow. We have 2 cars 1 of which I have left parked since hubby is in GA & I can only drive 1 car at a time, because I can't afford the repairs it needs. The one that does run I found out 2 days ago needs $1300 in repairs that has to be done or the kids & I will have no transportation. I know many of you are in need also. We all need to work together to push this issue & get this money out in time for the Holidays. We also need to work to get this changed for all Vets to get a bonus next Christmas! I wish it could happen for everyone this year but govt is too slow but lets push to get this changed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ohio is in deep financial crisis for many jobless in the state and it is somewhat doubtful that they can afford this now.

I'm in Ohio also. I don't see how Ohio can justify paying this bonus while at the same time they are laying off employees (civil servants) because the state can't balance the budget!!

A "bonus" is just that......a bonus. It's not guranteed. No one should expect it nor depend on it. The state needs to balance the budget first...people have lost jobs yet others want "bonus" money......where's the sense in that?

Yup, I'm sure it erks me. I am a Desert Storm/Somalia Vet and this OIF what other acronym they gave for Afghanistan war.. As much as it burns my ass our government’s acts as if these veteran problems have just began and never existed till now. The fact is it has been going on forever and they are making it better by lifting newer veterans above all others with the front of the line treatment and giving the feeling that the older vets have to deal with the same crappy system and put at the back of the line. When there are veterans been fighting for the very same causes and reasons for years that the VA deals with on a daily basis...When I came back from "Desert Storm" WV was giving away money as well only to ODS vets I did not accept the $$ (not saying you shouldn't) because it felt as if someone was trying to make up for something....Or maybe there using these “new vets” as an excuse because it has exposed them of just how bad their short comings really are and by taking care of them first it shows these problems really were never that bad till the newer vets came into the system and by the way “we care about our vets”…Our new ones..

JMO....

Edited by yoggie2