VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oh-christmas Bonus To Some Ohio Vets?

I guess Ohio isn't giving up on this Bonus thing......here's a story from today's Dayton Daily News:

A proposal to give Ohio voters the chance to approve cash bonuses for veterans of the Persian Gulf War and the continued fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan appears headed for final legislative passage on Tuesday, March 3.

If, as expected, the House approves the resolution, Sen. Tim Grendell, R-Chesterland, the original backer of the plan, said he would begin working with veterans groups and Bill Hartnett, director of the veterans’ affairs department, to lead a campaign to win passage on the Nov. 3 ballot. The Senate approved the resolution in February.

In normal economic times getting voter approval wouldn’t be a problem but with the economy in tatters, “we better make sure we spend …time making sure the message” gets out, said Grendell. He took up the cause in 2007 after the proposal first came from then state Treasurer Richard Cordray, a Democrat who’s now attorney general.

Gov. Ted Strickland does not have to sign the resolution to get it on the ballot but has indicated he supports the effort.

The plan would provide up to $100 a month - up to a maximum of $1,000 - for veterans who served in the conflicts and bonuses of $50 a month - up to a maximum of $500 - for veterans who served elsewhere during the conflicts. The state would borrow money by issuing bonds to pay for the bonuses.

http://' target="_blank">Last year Strickland vetoed legislation that called for using money from the state’s “rainy day” fund to pay for the bonuses. The “rainy day” fund money now is included in Strickland’s proposed two-year budget proposal.

The state previously has approved bonds to provide cash benefits to veterans of World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, but none since then.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think it's a bad idea. Ohio has had ten of thousands of layoffs recently...the state cannot balance the budget without federal bailout money...yet they want to give away bonus money???

Not smart. Not fiscally smart.

It's nothing more than buying votes.

I agree the finances of the state of Ohio are currently in shambles. But due to my mobilization as a reservist for 15 months to go to Iraq, (and another 6 months earlier in my career for Kosovo) my family's are as well due to severe paycuts we were forced to endure. I understand everyone going to a warzone makes sacrifices, and there are a heck of a lot of people who were worse off than my family and I. I raised my right hand and took the oath, just as everyone honored to serve this country has. While not thrilled of being mobilized twice in my short reserve career, I went without reservations and didn't try to "get out of it" as some reservists I know did. I am proud I was able to serve my country, as I am sure everyone on Hadit has been. Due to my service I now have some issues I'm dealing with, and will be for the rest of my life. I am sure the Ohio veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam didn't deny any of the money the state gave to them. I don't feel this money is "owed" to me, nor am I expecting any handouts. But if the state wants to thank me for my service monetarily, I would be crazy to turn it down in our current situation. JMHO

• 2 months later...

I do not think Veterans should be expected to give up a well deserved bonus either because of a bad economy or bad money management by Ohio legislators, as Veterans did not cause these economic maladies. The Veterans of Ohio, already receive about $4000 per year per Veteran less than Veterans in Maine.Source: Ohio Veterans get less Haven't Ohio Veterans given up enough for a bad economy that they did not create? I say Veterans should get their bonus, but Regional Office Employees, who get bonuses for delaying Veterans claims, should have to pay back their bonus.

VA employees paid bonuses for delaying Veterans claims: Source : VA employees get bonus for delays

Edited by broncovet